• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Is Now The World’s Most Valuable Brand, Surpassing Coca-Cola !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah Brent, Coke has been taking some big hits lately. They're being accused of making our kids here in the US overweight from all the calories and caffein it contains. Diet Coke anyone? ;P (Apples are less fattening)

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yeah Brent, Coke has been taking some big hits lately. They're being accused of making our kids here in the US overweight from all the calories and caffein it contains. Diet Coke anyone? ;P (Apples are less fattening)

Same Down Under, BUT if you look at the graph and all, its not as if they are loosing ground, they are staying put and Apple/Google are making inroads.

Can you upsize that for me ;P

Reaction score
I don't think coke is as innovative as Apple, Apple has been coming up with something really amaizng to its name something innovative and what we have been getting from Coca Cola is the same old black colored drink since the last few decades.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

Funnily enough, diet sodas are actually linked to weight gain. In fact, I've read articles suggesting they are worse than regular sodas.
Study: Diet soda doesn't help you lose weight

True story here... I quit drinking sodas and I dropped 60 pounds over the following year, and went from being pre-diabetic to normal. It's not just the sugar in these drinks, but the kind of sugar. High fructose corn syrup is simply one of the worst things in our food supply, not just sodas, but sodas have an awful lot of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
High fructose corn syrup is simply one of the worst things in our food supply, not just sodas, but sodas have an awful lot of it.

I know this is off topic, but I just had to add an "AMEN!" The most weight I ever saw my dad drop was 40 lbs in a few months simply by cutting out soda altogether. Pure poison.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
True story here... I quit drinking sodas and I dropped 60 pounds over the following year, and went from being pre-diabetic to normal.

That's great news. Diabetes is a destructive disease which can subtract years from one's life plus all the side effect problems it causes for the human body.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's great news. Diabetes is a destructive disease which can subtract years from one's life plus all the side effect problems it causes for the human body.

No kidding. I work in healthcare and I see it all the time. My situation is more interesting (man am I about to go off on a tangent here). I'd been drinking sodas pretty regularly since 16 or so, though at times I've tried to quit. But I just couldn't shake the craving. Several years ago, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, though I really only took it seriously about 4 years ago when I found out how badly I had it (one of the most severe cases they've ever seen... I would have been dead in months at that point if I didn't get it under control) (as a side note, you may have noticed that I'm not as irritable here as I was when I first joined the forums). Now... one of the hallmarks of sleep apnea is a craving for carbs. I thought that was nonsense... "I just need to try harder", I told myself. About 3 months after I finally got the sleep apnea under control, I was drinking a soda when I looked at it, realized I didn't want it anymore, and put it away. That was almost 4 years ago and I have only had half of a single can since. I can't tolerate the stuff anymore.

I've come to the conclusion that sodas are one of the biggest health hazards in this country today. I basically see that industry being where the cigarette industry was in the 50's or 60's. Denying denying denying how bad their product is for health, but secretly knowing that yeah, it is bad, but profits matter more. I think the country is slowly waking up to this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I don't think coke is as innovative as Apple, Apple has been coming up with something really amaizng to its name something innovative and what we have been getting from Coca Cola is the same old black colored drink since the last few decades.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Last thing I want is for coke to start making their drink neon purple.

Not surprising how Apple has overtaken them though, they've been making plenty of headway with their new releases, and it shows.

Reaction score
I am slowly starting to do only one soda a weekend if not 2 weeks. Ill see how long it lasts. Hopefully soon I can stop drinking the stuff all together. I used to be a huge soda drinker back in grade school. Now I am starting to get over the stuff. I just drink more water instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I am slowly starting to do only one soda a weekend if not 2 weeks. Ill see how long it lasts. Hopefully soon I can stop drinking the stuff all together. I used to be a huge soda drinker back in grade school. Now I am starting to get over the stuff. I just drink more water instead.

I drank 2 liters today.. :(

On a positive note. I love my Mac! /thumbsup

I consider Apple to be the last real computer company. I never really liked windows and spent half my life using Linux and DOS before that. But IMHO Win8 LOL killed PC makers. I cant see how anyone would like Windows 8. Its the most un usable crap of mess I have never seen. I would revert back to using my Tandy1000 HX before going to Windows 8.

I hope Apple never goes down the Win8 user interface road with OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I always find it funny whenever the luxury toy company that is Apple, breaks through some new financial milestone. I love Apple and all, but it just seems weird somehow. My money is still on Aramco being truly more valuable in an absolute and enduring sense.

"Interbrand bases its assessment on a combination of the company's financial performance, its role influencing consumer choices, and how well the brand lets a company charge premium prices and deliver profits."

Describes an oil company pretty well in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
My Mac is the best computer I ever had. I liked windows but hated the patches and other inconveniences. I got what I paid for with the pc. Apple has lots of great products, though they are expensive. At least it's quality.

As for the health discussion, I agree about soda, it's poison, and yes, diet soda is worse. I'm glad Coke isn't doing as well. If Apple lowered their prices some, and kept the quality, they'd be so far ahead of Coke and everyone else.

I've heard and read lots of negative reviews about win8, too. The problem with so many companies is, they have some good ideas but don't go far enough, some go too far, and most are so proprietary, nothing works with it. They're so filthy rich, yet they outsource and put out cheap quality products. At least Apple has quality. I love my MBP and hope to get more stuff from Apple when I can.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
and most are so proprietary
I think Apple wins that race - proprietary connectors and technologies are their bread and butter. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I know this is off topic, but I just had to add an "AMEN!" The most weight I ever saw my dad drop was 40 lbs in a few months simply by cutting out soda altogether. Pure poison.

I went from a fairly fit (I'm always referred to as thin) 6'2", 180# to 170# in 6 weeks at the end of last year just by stopping drinking my daily afternoon can of coke. I did it purely to see how my body responded to the withdrawal of caffeine (never had an issue falling asleep, but now I fall asleep earlier than I want to).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
I think Apple wins that race - proprietary connectors and technologies are their bread and butter. ;)
I see your point, though it would be nice if a few things were compatible, ex: a non-Apple cell phone can't get ringtones from a Mac machine. I do hope Apple will always make quality products and stay on top. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I see your point, though it would be nice if a few things were compatible, ex: a non-Apple cell phone can't get ringtones from a Mac machine.
How so? Either you send over the ringtone in a friendly format or, if you're using DRM'd ringtones, find another (DRM isn't the fault of the phone and, to be fair, not really Apple's either).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How so? Either you send over the ringtone in a friendly format or, if you're using DRM'd ringtones, find another (DRM isn't the fault of the phone and, to be fair, not really Apple's either).
You may be right. All I know is, when I called the place I got my phone, they said it wouldn't work with my Mac. I know DRM isn't the fault of the phone or Apple; in fact, I didn't consider the DRM issue. Oops! Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may be right. All I know is, when I called the place I got my phone, they said it wouldn't work with my Mac. I know DRM isn't the fault of the phone or Apple; in fact, I didn't consider the DRM issue. Oops! Thanks for the info.

Chances are, the people you talked to are clueless idiots who've never used a Mac. You'd be better off asking us.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chances are, the people you talked to are clueless idiots who've never used a Mac. You'd be better off asking us.
Yes, I agree. I will know better next time. Now I need to find the appropriate thread to ask about this. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.