Macbook Pro pink lines everywhere

Reaction score
Hello there, recently (as in yesterday) my macbook pro 17 inch began having pink lines running vertically all over the screen, primarily when i open windows such as finder windows and the internet browser. I cannot figure out what the problem is, they are very annoying.

I have, for one, figured out that when I press on the bottom left side of the lap top the lines go away. But, when I release the pressure they come back. I think there might be a loose cable or loose graphics cable problem, I would like to fix it myself if possible but not sure that I can.

Can anyone help me out and maybe explain what the problem might be?

thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have, for one, figured out that when I press on the bottom left side of the lap top the lines go away. But, when I release the pressure they come back. I think there might be a loose cable or loose graphics cable problem, I would like to fix it myself if possible but not sure that I can.

Can anyone help me out and maybe explain what the problem might be?

If you suspect that there is a problem inside the computer (due to the pressure you apply)...the first thing you need to do is open it up...and see if there is anything obviously wrong (loose or disconnected cables, frayed or broken cables, loose screws, components not mounted properly or securely, etc.).

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
If you suspect that there is a problem inside the computer (due to the pressure you apply)...the first thing you need to do is open it up...and see if there is anything obviously wrong (loose or disconnected cables, frayed or broken cables, loose screws, components not mounted properly or securely, etc.).

- Nick

I have opened the back, and from as far as I could tell everything is in place properly. I didn't see any loose or disconnected cables, at least not on the surface.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are two possibilities that initially come to mind:

1. Sometimes the cabling going from the logic board thru the hinge area to the display can get worn over time (or get pinched) via the MANY times when the display is opened & closed. So the cable could be bad without being visible.

2. The graphics hardware on the logic board is failing (or has failed). Which wouldn't be very good.

One way to further test things is...connect an external monitor to your MacBook Pro...and see if the pink lines show up on the external monitor. If they don't...then there's a strong possibility that it's just the cable.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score

- Nick

There are two possibilities that initially come to mind:

1. Sometimes the cabling going from the logic board thru the hinge area to the display can get worn over time (or get pinched) via the MANY times when the display is opened & closed. So the cable could be bad without being visible.

2. The graphics hardware on the logic board is failing (or has failed). Which wouldn't be very good.

One way to further test things is...connect an external monitor to your MacBook Pro...and see if the pink lines show up on the external monitor. If they don't...then there's a strong possibility that it's just the cable.

- Nick

Ok, I don't currently have the proper cords necessary to connect it to an external monitor. Would you suggest purchasing them? Or trying to take my computer to an apple store? The nearest store to me is about 3 hours away, unfortunately.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I don't currently have the proper cords necessary to connect it to an external monitor. Would you suggest purchasing them?

How would you suggest doing the testing if you do not already have the cabling?;)

Or trying to take my computer to an apple store?The nearest store to me is about 3 hours away, unfortunately.

- Firstly (depending on how old this 17" MacBook Pro is)...Apple may not even want to work on it if it's really old.
- Secondly (depending on how old this 17" MacBook Pro is)...if Apple would agree to work on it...it may cost you a significant amount of it's current value to get repaired.
- Thirdly. If you're capable of replacing the video cable (the cable inside the computer)...why not. The video cable probably costs less than $50.
- Forth. If your closest Apple Store is about 3 hours away. It would probably cost you more in gas to drive there & back...than to purchase the external monitor cables you need.

Bottom line...taking it to the Apple Store would not be my recommendation. You need to connect your MacBook Pro to an external monitor to see if the pink lines persist. If you don't have the cabling to do this...then you need to get the cables to test things further.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok, thanks, I'll have to head out later tonight and pick up the cables I need. I'll post an update later tonight or tomorrow.

Again, Thanks for the help! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome. Fingers crossed that the pink lines do not show up on the external monitor!:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I went out and bought a mini-DVI to DVI adapter for my macbook and a DVI to VGA adapter for the TV hook up, however, the mac adapter doesn't fit onto the DVI adapter for the TV and there is no slot on my macbook for the DVI adapter to go, it's too large. I don't know what cables to buy, I thought those were the correct ones.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went out and bought a mini-DVI to DVI adapter for my macbook and a DVI to VGA adapter for the TV hook up, however, the mac adapter doesn't fit onto the DVI adapter for the TV and there is no slot on my macbook for the DVI adapter to go, it's too large. I don't know what cables to buy, I thought those were the correct ones.

You probably should have asked this question earlier...BEFORE you went out to purchase things.;) You seemed to know what you were doing...that's why I didn't ask.

You need to tell us what model 17" MacBook Pro you have (so we can figure out what video adapter you need)...and tell us what video in ports your TV has.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Have a look at the first item. Is this what you purchased as it must be a mini adapter. Surprised the Apple Store could not afdvise correct adapter:-

Apple Mini DVI to VGA Adapter MacBook | eBay

You probably should have asked this question earlier...BEFORE you went out to purchase things.;) You seemed to know what you were doing...that's why I didn't ask.

You need to tell us what model 17" MacBook Pro you have (so we can figure out what video adapter you need)...and tell us what video in ports your TV has.

- Nick

Yea, your right, I googled the cords and cables that I needed so I thought I had the right ones.

I believe it's a 17" Macbook Pro from Mid 2009. 4gb ram and 500gb hard drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's your connections:

CONNECTIONS

Wi-Fi Built-in AirPort Extreme card (802.11a/b/g/n)
Bluetooth Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
Ethernet 10/100/1000BASE-T (RJ-45) (support for jumbo frames)
Modem Optional Apple USB Modem (MA034Z/A)
USB 3 - 480 MBit/s
FireWire 1 - 800 MBit/s
Display 1 - Mini DisplayPort (VGA, DVI, or dual-link DVI with adapter)
Infrared 1 - For Apple Remote only
Audio In 1 - 3.5-mm analog/optical combo jack, 1 - Built-in microphone
Audio Out 1 - 3.5-mm analog/optical combo jack, 2 - Built-in speakers
Security Slot 1 - Kensington cable lock

As you can see, you have a Mini DisplayPort video output.

C

chas_m

Yep, the MiniDisplayPort on my (13") MBP from the same year is between the Firewire 800 port and the first USB port. HTH.

Going back to your problem for a moment -- do you have a tendency to carry around this computer holding it with one hand (... your left hand, perhaps)?

OP
C
Reaction score
Here's your connections:

CONNECTIONS

Wi-Fi Built-in AirPort Extreme card (802.11a/b/g/n)
Bluetooth Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
Ethernet 10/100/1000BASE-T (RJ-45) (support for jumbo frames)
Modem Optional Apple USB Modem (MA034Z/A)
USB 3 - 480 MBit/s
FireWire 1 - 800 MBit/s
Display 1 - Mini DisplayPort (VGA, DVI, or dual-link DVI with adapter)
Infrared 1 - For Apple Remote only
Audio In 1 - 3.5-mm analog/optical combo jack, 1 - Built-in microphone
Audio Out 1 - 3.5-mm analog/optical combo jack, 2 - Built-in speakers
Security Slot 1 - Kensington cable lock

As you can see, you have a Mini DisplayPort video output.

Yea, I know I have a mini Display Port but the Mini cord that I bought is too big and won't fit. :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, I know I have a mini Display Port but the Mini cord that I bought is too big and won't fit. :(

I'm not sure what you mean by what you posted above (whether you're still confused at this point or not).

But from what you mentioned in your earlier post...you purchased a "Mini-DVI" adapter...what you need is a "mini-display port" adapter. They are certainly different...and that's why it does not fit.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok, thanks, I have the correct adapter now and I have everything plugged into the port that says "PC port" on my tv. My mac is reading the connection to my TV, but my TV is showing no signal and is black. Any solutions?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, thanks, I have the correct adapter now and I have everything plugged into the port that says "PC port" on my tv. My mac is reading the connection to my TV, but my TV is showing no signal and is black. Any solutions?

Most TV's have an input "Source" button on the remote. You need to change the TV to the "PC Port" so the TV displays the signal coming from the MacBook Pro.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Yea, that's the thing. I do have it on PC port setting. And I've cycled through several times waiting for it to catch the signal, but nothing. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.