Weird wavy line on the right side on my iMac screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac I5, 8GB Ram
I have a 27" iMac I bought in December 2009. Last year I noticed some vertical lines across the screen. I got the screen replaced and it was fine for a few months, then I notice a darker wavy line on the right side of the screen. It's hard to notice at first, but very visible on a gray background. So I sent it for another repair, but Apple claims they can't see anything and even sent me photos to prove it. They can't find anything wrong. Here's how it looks:
TlLg7Zn.jpg

I'm thinking it could be heat because I am physically burning myself when I touch the top right corner, but it's less intensive on the left side. I asked Apple to stresstest it for a week and see if it pops up.

I'm grasping at straws here though and don't expect Apple to find anything and I get sent back a faulty computer.

What do you all think?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, the wavy line on the right side is clearly visible on the image you posted. The fact that your iMac is hot on that side is also a concern. An iMac generally runs cool, much cooler than the typical MacBook or MacBook Pro. Why don't you download the free iStats Pro Widget from here and keep track of your fans speeds and temperatures? Let us know what they are when the machine is running hot.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac I5, 8GB Ram
Thanks for the suggestion. I would, but the machine is at Apple repair service. I've told them to keep it running for a week and test it to see if they can reproduce the heat and the wavy line. If they still can't find anything I guess I'll get it back and give it a try myself.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac I5, 8GB Ram
Well, problem solved (for me at least). The stresstest worked and they saw the wavy lines and noticed that the iMac was dangerously hot (I actually have a burnmark on my right arm when I was trying to put in a USB device).

Soon after, someone from Apple called me with 1000 questions about that, whether I am seriously hurt, whether my house was damaged etc. I guess they were afraid I was going to sue them.

Today I got a call from Apple saying that they will send me one of those new shiny 27" iMac's free of charge :)

C

chas_m

AWESOME. Congratulations for taking action before something bad happened, and congrats on getting the kind of service Apple is renowned for!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Not bad for a 4 yr old iMac. Well done, but its my bet when they took it apart, they saw a fault that one of their technicians did when they replaced the screen and to save face, here is a new skinny iMac, but either way, you gotta be happy with that :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Wow...pretty amazing! From 2009 to 2013 27" iMac free of charge!!!:):)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.