free desktop publishing software?

Reaction score
So I'm new to Macs and, to tell you the truth, rather new to the whole computer thing, because I'm old ; ) My faith community is trying to start a printed newsletter, and we are looking for free (as we are poor) desktop publishing software for Mac, as we only have Macs among us. I've seen Scribus but it says it has a steep learning curve which would be hard for us. The newsletter is just going to be pretty simple, with articles and photos, I don't suppose a newsletter can be that complex anyway. What is the best free (or maybe under $50) software that will not be too hard to learn? We want to make sure to download legally, so we are not looking to pirate anything. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If it's a simple newsletter and you've got $15 to spare, Pages (as Raz0r recommended) is probably a good bet. It's better at this type of thing than any other word processor and it's fairly cheap.

OP
D
Reaction score
using Pages to create a newsletter

Hi! I've just been advised elsewhere on this forum, to use Pages to create a print newsletter. I looked at a couple YouTube tutorials and I have a question. (besides, of course, do you think this is good software for a newsletter?) Do I have to type the articles in the actual template, or can I import a file containing the article, the same way I can import a photo? Sorry I'm kinda new to computers, need to ask very simple questions. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You just copy paste the articles, not import them

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Threads merged (same topic). Thread also moved to better sub-forum (OS X - Apps).

- Nick

C

chas_m

Highly recommend Pages for newsletters. I haven't seen anything that is both cheaper and better, so Pages is my favourite.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One slight correction to the above information.... Pages is $19.99 in the Mac App store not $14.99. But still a good purchase at that price if you're looking for a publishing program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yea Pages +1 here too.

As someone else said above if you Highlight all the Text from the other document, by clicking and then dragging the mouse over text, then ⌘C (Command + C) will copy the Highlighted Text then go over to Pages and in the Document ⌘V (Command + V) which will paste it into the window. Then if you drag 1 of your images over, you can then resize the image in Pages by clicking on the corners or sides and moving it to reach the desired size. Then you can drag the image around, and the text will move and edit itself to allow you to drop the image wherever you need.

Thats how simple Pages is :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi! I've just been advised elsewhere on this forum, to use Pages to create a print newsletter. I looked at a couple YouTube tutorials and I have a question. (besides, of course, do you think this is good software for a newsletter?) Do I have to type the articles in the actual template, or can I import a file containing the article, the same way I can import a photo? Sorry I'm kinda new to computers, need to ask very simple questions. Thanks!

Hello - wife does simple newsletters and has migrated from PCs (used Publisher) to an iMac in May - I suggested that she give Pages a try first before an additional purchase - she's using a book My Pages (2013) by Gary Rosenzweig (short w/ numerous illustrations - the screen captures are too small to read easily) - the links given also rate Pages highly and at a reasonable price - good luck in you selection - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.