Extreme , nas drive or server

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27 3.8, Ipad 3, MacBook Pro 15"retina, iPhone 5
I currently have a imac , mac book pro, iPhone and ipad
At the moment I can log in to mac from Mac Pro and vice versa,
What I want is to set up a local net work that does not involve having to leave one or the other pc on
Also want to access it from ipad and iPhone
Thought about airport extreme or a network hard drive (nas drive) or maybe a micro server
Accessing this over the net whilst away would be good as well
I know in the long run micro server will be a better option although more expensive,
How fast is accessing / streaming data over hard drive on extreme compared to using network drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'd suggest a dedicated NAS drive. Something like a Buffalo Linkstation Live.

Online access, multiple user supported, low power, always on, configure once then no more fuss.

You're right, a micro server is more flexible and capable in the long run but also more costly up front and arguably more time consuming to manage (security, software updates etc).

I know people who use USB connected device with routers be, depending on the hard disk, they can be less than robust and reliable (in my experience)

OP
markyb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks
I'll have a. Look
Do they work ok with iPhone ipad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
to do what?
Stream video, photos, music? all yes

Reaction score
I was going to actually ask the same question as soon as I saw this post. Looking for the same setup and I've had lots of people recommend a NAS drive.

I've heard Synology are great for this type of setup but I'm not sure if having it connected via USB on the Airport Extreme creates a bottleneck when streaming or backing up, etc... Anybody care to comment on that?

OP
markyb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since. I started this pist I've been looking at all options
I think the synology connects via a rj 45 so does not connect to the extreme via usb
I have a draytek router and it as a USB port . I've connected a usb stick and can see the files on it, so this is a avenue I'm exploring. Think I have to FTP in to
Been looking at various nas drives but there may be 100 positive reviews but the one negative puts me off
If I go down the network drive route I want one with usb so that I can put files on via the pc. Rather than over the network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
I've been using a WD MyBookLive 2TB Network (NAS?) drive for close to a year (Costco special) and the drive has generally been great. I've posted elsewhere that I have four (4) USB drives as well and in an effort to consolidate, I just ordered a new WD MyCloud 3TB to help me rid my desk of all these extra drives and cables... maybe even improve performance. I'm not a real tech person so whatever seems easier LOL works for me.

OP
markyb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been using a WD MyBookLive 2TB Network (NAS?) drive for close to a year (Costco special) and the drive has generally been great. I've posted elsewhere that I have four (4) USB drives as well and in an effort to consolidate, I just ordered a new WD MyCloud 3TB to help me rid my desk of all these extra drives and cables... maybe even improve performance. I'm not a real tech person so whatever seems easier LOL works for me.

In the end I opted for the wd 3tb cloud drive
It works ok on the local network
But having trouble logging in remotely

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.