• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Sharing an iMovie

Reaction score
I have created a 10 minute iMovie and I wish to share it with my family overseas.

In the past, I have created a DVD using iDVD and then posted it. I have tried to do this again but I have been unsuccessful (iDVD seems to be burning the DVD, giving lots of progress messages and ending with a message confirming success, but the DVD is actually blank!). I have tried both DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs and I get the same [no] result).

I talked to an Apple store employee who said that iDVD is no longer supported as it is 'old technology'.

So, my question is: Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to fix my iDVD problem and/or, if not, how else could I share my video with my family overseas.

Technical details:
iMac 2.4GHz Intel Core Duo
Max OSX 10.6.8
iMovie HD 5.0.2 (111)
iDVD 7.1.2 (1158)

Thanks!
Martin

C

chas_m

On my machine, iDVD still works and does things the same way as it did before (and I'm on Mountain Lion -- Apple doesn't remove iDVD if you already have it, they just don't support it anymore).

You'll need to describe the steps you are taking for us to narrow this down, but I suspect the problem here is iMovie rather than iDVD. That version is ooooooolllllllldddddd and much less supported than your version of iDVD.

If you just need to burn the video to a "movie" DVD without the fancy menus and such, export the movie from iMovie as a QuickTime file and use Burn to create a straightforward DVD. It's free and easy.

Also, it's time to step up to today's iMovie. Believe me, I was one of the haters of iMovie when it changed to its new style, but one day I decided to dump my attitude and approach it as a wholly new program (like one used to do when switching from iMovie to Final Cut Pro) -- and by golly, I love the program now. It didn't happen overnight, but Apple was right -- it's a better approach.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for that, chas-m.

I downloaded Burn and attempted to burn my DVD. I had the same problem in that Burn went through the motions as if burning successfully - but the end result result was a blank DVD! I am assuming that my iMac DVD drive is not working. This is borne out by the fact that I transferred the file created by Burn from my Mac to my PC, where I successfully burnt my DVD!

The bottom line is that I have isolated the problem - and I have my DVD!

Many thanks
Martin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.