iPad 2 Flashlight Issue

Reaction score
First post here, so hello to all!

I'm trying to fix an iPad 2 for a neighbor whose kid dropped it while getting out of the car. Obviously the digitizer needs to be replaced along with the back aluminum cover since it's dented.

But after firing it up and factory resetting, there's a weird, what I'll call, "flashlight effect" all along the left hand side of the iPad (see picture). Does this need a new LCD as well or is this from the damaged digitzer?

Appreciate the help!

2013-09-29 13.48.00.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
That's where the LCD has come away from the glass allowing the backlight to bleed though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The LCD looks intact (looks like it's just broken free of the surround but there are too many variables to say if it's OK. Much depends on whether the dis-assembly goes of. It's not for the faint hearted or impatient.

Have a look here for the iFixit guide

Before going too far down the line and ordering parts I'd suggest getting a repair quote from a local repairer and or Apple. Could end up being cheaper than getting a new rear cover, screen, digitizer etc.

Not sure about the US but in the UK there are reputable companies that will do iPad/iPhone repairs including parts and labour (using genuine parts) cheaper than I can buy the parts retail

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.