Nasty "frequency buzz" coming through speakers when using 2nd monitor

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am new to the forum. Figured I'd jump into this community to ask for help with an issue...

I use a FireWire audio interface. This is how I put sound through studio monitor speakers that I use with my 2012 Macbook Pro. I just recently got a 20" monitor so that I could have more room for auido mixing/whatever. There is no VGA port on my computer, so I picked up this, a "Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt) to VGA adapter so that I can use my monitor.

I plugged the monitor in and it fired right up, but as soon as I opened up my audio software, a constant buzzing/ high frequency noise started coming through the speakers. I have never had this issue before. If I switch the computer's audio settings back to "internal speakers" the noise goes away.

Any ideas what this may be? It's quite an annoying sound, and obviously if using an external monitor means that I won't be able to use my audio setup/external speakers then I will be quite put-off.

Thanks so much for the help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That sounds like interference coming from either the monitor or the cables. One of your cables could be picking up a ground loop. You'll just have to experiment with different setups and placements to see if you can eliminate the interference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not too close to a hands free telephone by chance?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.