Help!!! Accidentally Deleted MyBook Partition

Reaction score
Hi there!,

I am very worried, because yesterday deleted the partition from my external hard drive (Western Digital). It has been used for 3 years as my source for backups (using Time Machine). Unfortunately, yesterday was the only place where I had all my information from 10 years ago.

I've deleted it accidentally using the utility disk, and now appears one called "Untitled" instead of the previous partition "My book". It was a "default erased" (not secured), only lasted five seconds. I have read that I must be capable to recover the partition.

I have read that another option would be to try to recover all the files but apparently I would recover without folders and names of the files. This would be a huge disorder for me.

I guess the information has to be there, because no more data has been written to the disk.

I tried some tool but until now I have not recovered the partition. I'm not sure if I should unmount the partition "untitled" because maybe the programs need to search into "unallocated space" but I'm not sure which is the best way at this time.

I don't know why, but if I connect the external disk to windows XP, I can't see the partition "Untitled".

I appreciate any help on this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
XP cannot see HFS+ partitions.

Download Stellar Phoenix and give it a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

What was 'some tool' you used precisely? Hate to say this but that may have erased the drive completely. You might like to Google Data Rescue 3 and download the demo which will let you see if any files are recoverable.

OP
I
Reaction score
Firstly thanks for the support to everyone.

I did the first deep analysis with Data Rescue 3. On one hand, I got two folders: one folder named "Found Files" and a second folder named "Reconstructed Fiiles". On the "Found Files" folder I have another folder called "Untitled" (which is the name of the partition that utility disk was created automatically when I deleted accidentally my partition "My book"). On this folder I can see the entire folder structure, file names (apparently its size is also correct), date of creation / modification ... BUT none of this files are working.

On the other hand, I got a second folder called "Reconstructed Files" where everything is ordered by file type and the files work. However, the problem is that there are many many files and they are completely disorganised. Since I used to do the back up using Time Machine I have up to 20 versions of the same file. Also it appears without titles, folders or date. This causes a huge disaster for me.

I have read a lot about it and it seems that you can not recover the folder structure and names either.I would like to try with another software to try to obtain the folders and names (and files working...). However I 'm afraid I will not be successful.

I don't know what to do at this moment. Maybe could be a solution "dismount" the partition "Untitled" to see if there are any chance to recover the old partition "My Book" and therefore the entire folders and names structure? (with the files working...)

If anyone has any idea how can fix this ... I would be very grateful.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know if this advice helps you or not.... but once you remove a partition, the only real way to undo it is with special software that will reinstate the entire partition back into the disk structure. Undeleting files from a removed partition almost always results in a worse condition.

I'm not sure about which software is the most effective for reinstating a deleted partition, you'll just have to search around to see if you can find something. Without a clone or backup you may be out of luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.