• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

"Apple admits Intel iMac video problems"

L

Left Face Down

I have only one question, and if Apple is truelly placeing the blame correctly:

Second Link said:
"Numerous user software reinstalls have established that the problem is likely not software related, placing the blame on the ATI Radeon X1600 video card," the site said.

Then the MacBook Pro I ordered would too possibly have these glitches. Nothing against them, but if it does I'm just complaining until I get my money back in full or a new one with out these problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
At first, I was upset that I ordered a G5 iMac in December, only to have the Intel's launched 3 weeks later.

Now, not so much.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Jeremy W said:
At first, I was upset that I ordered a G5 iMac in December, only to have the Intel's launched 3 weeks later.

Now, not so much.

Glad to make you feel better :D Discerptor, I know, I know, I went against my own instincts and bought Rev. A. I can only pray that the Apple factory will have mercy upon my poor switching soul...

Reaction score
Yes my friend has this problem on his new Imac.
Apple support or the store did not know about this as of 2 days ago (or did not admit it)
The display models they had in the store worked fine!
I think its mainly a problem with the 256MB V-RAM cards.

In any case my friends imac was put down as D.O.A( has to wait 10 days for new one because of upgrades he ordered) but whats going to happen? will they give him another one with the same problem?

Reinstalling the Software wont help if the driver you keep installing for the video card is the same Dodgy Driver, if the driver is dodgy.
I dont know that they have tried a new driver yet and those Models graphics cards work fine in the PC (i dont know if the Apple ones are modified to be made smaller for Imac)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Left Face Down said:
I have only one question, and if Apple is truelly placeing the blame correctly:

Then the MacBook Pro I ordered would too possibly have these glitches. Nothing against them, but if it does I'm just complaining until I get my money back in full or a new one with out these problems.
On the plus side, since they don't actually ship the MacBook pros until the end of this month for most customers, it's very likely that by the time you get it there will be a software update that fixes this (assuming it's a video card driver problem).

Discerptor, I know, I know, I went against my own instincts and bought Rev. A. I can only pray that the Apple factory will have mercy upon my poor switching soul...
Considering that software reinstalls don't help the matter and that apparently using an external display eliminates the issue so it's probably not a fault of the hardware itself, it's very likely that this is a driver issue. So ven if you get unlucky, chances are an Apple software update is in the works to fix the drivers for the video card. But your folly is still inexcusable, being a veteran Apple customer. This is the kind of mistake I'd expect from a nub. ;)

Then again, you DID have the lack of sense to get a G4 Cube of all things, so maybe I overestimated you. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro CD 2.16, 2GB ram, 256MB Video.
I hate to say it this but....

I Told you so, I Told you so,I Told you so. I have been telling all my co-workers to hold off getting the new iMacs for at least 6 months. I never trust a first rev apple product. After that, then they get things right and you have a stable product.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Discerptor said:
On the plus side, since they don't actually ship the MacBook pros until the end of this month for most customers, it's very likely that by the time you get it there will be a software update that fixes this (assuming it's a video card driver problem).

Considering that software reinstalls don't help the matter and that apparently using an external display eliminates the issue so it's probably not a fault of the hardware itself, it's very likely that this is a driver issue. So ven if you get unlucky, chances are an Apple software update is in the works to fix the drivers for the video card. But your folly is still inexcusable, being a veteran Apple customer. This is the kind of mistake I'd expect from a nub. ;)

Then again, you DID have the lack of sense to get a G4 Cube of all things, so maybe I overestimated you. :p

Veteran? I've only had my Cube for a month!! :D I love it though; that's why I'm getting the iMac...my wife has fallen in love with OS X too, but I need more time with my Cube...so the iMac is really a distraction for her so I can play with my Cube...shhh ;) That's why I needed to get one so quickly! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5
Yeah, i've got the video glitch. When I reinstalled using a downloaded version of osx the problem went away. There must be a driver bug in 8G1171 that has a conflict with the additional video ram

A

atforce

Yey!! lol i got a powerbook for xmas and when this came out i was like ****. But stuff like this makes me happy to be a powerbook user.

1stcare

new mac user

I am a new mac user and am awaiting my macbook pro. Wit this new information what do you recommend I do?? Please help and advise.

Marc

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
1stcare said:
I am a new mac user and am awaiting my macbook pro. Wit this new information what do you recommend I do?? Please help and advise.

Marc

I would say don't cancel your order. Wait and see how it turns out. From the reports I've read, like the one from Texasmeat above, it seems that installing a different build of OS X fixes the problem, so it seems as if the problem lies in the software, not the hardware. If this is the case, I'm sure Apple will simply release an update by sending out a disc or notification to download or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5
The problems are minor software glitches with the upgraded video ram. I think that the problem lies within quicktime allocating whatever you're putting into the additional ram

B

BoingoBongo

My first Intel iMac had it. Apple told me it was software related. I had to send that computer back because of a dead pixel. I just ordered a new one today, and I'm sure it will have it too. We'll just have to wait for a software update. If that's the biggest problem we face with Intel chips, that's pretty good.

Now as for dead pixels...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
BoingoBongo said:
My first Intel iMac had it. Apple told me it was software related. I had to send that computer back because of a dead pixel. I just ordered a new one today, and I'm sure it will have it too. We'll just have to wait for a software update. If that's the biggest problem we face with Intel chips, that's pretty good.

Now as for dead pixels...
Dead pixels will always be an issue with LCD screens. The difference is what each manufacturer's policy is with them. The good thing about Apple is that if you ave a dead pixel, they'll typically be good about it and replace it straight away. Certain companies, however, are not so cooperative. Take Sony, for example, which requires that your tiny PSP screen have 13 dead pixels before they agree to replace it. Dead pixels will be around as log as LCDs are, and what will make the difference is policy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
Phew, I must say I was a little worried about this at first, but it looks like it is driver related, so I don't have to worry about my MBP on order.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
10.4.5 update notes:

Eliminates some potential video redraw issues when using Front Row on Intel-based Macs.

Yay!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.