iWeb on Multiple computers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4, 1.33Ghz, 1GB Ram...G4 Mac Mini 1.42Ghz, 512 MB Ram...External Lacie 250GB Mini
Hi there, first thread on this forum (quite excited).

I had a search around and couln't find anything on this topic but i have iWeb and I began to make a website on my iBook, as i'm always up for the idea of updating a blog on the move.

I ran into problems the other day though. I got home an decided to open iWeb on my MacMini so I could edit my site there, but I couldn't find any way to access the site I have created on my laptop.

Does anyone out there have any ideas as to how I can managed the one site created through iWeb on two different Macs?

Thanks

Gareth :yinyang:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hmm, you could just upload the iWeb document to your webserver as well as your actual resulting webpage and then download it with your other mac, edit and upload it from there.
You'd just always have to remember to keep the latest copy of your iweb file on your server as well.

F

Fallooza

i was just listenin ta this podcast and the dude talks about that bein one of the bugs with iweb.

OP
areth2j
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4, 1.33Ghz, 1GB Ram...G4 Mac Mini 1.42Ghz, 512 MB Ram...External Lacie 250GB Mini
Re

Thanks, mate I'll give it a go.

I'm a dreamweaver user to heart so I normally just sync my site to my server and work from anywhere I want.

Apple really needs to get on this bandwagon and bring out a patch to have a sync function so you are not re-downloading everthing everytime you change computer. Not worth the hassle.

<EDIT> Also just had a listen to that podcast, totally hits the nail on the head. Apple need to wake up and start sorting his out, I'm not used to beta like programs coming from them.

As I say, i'll give it a go, I was just wanting to make sure I wasn't being stupid and didn't miss like some really obvious menu option that would allow me to do this.

G

Reaction score
Hi, areth

Here what I found about this question

When opening iWeb on another computer that is connected to .Mac, you will be presented with a blank iWeb site to start from scratch, and you cannot open a previously-created iWeb site to edit. The file that keeps track of this all is ~/Library/Application Support/iWeb/Domain.sites

I quickly fixed my setup so that I can use two Macs to edit iWeb without copying a file. I thought of first using iDisk, but my Domain.sites package was already 23MB and the copy was slow. So I decided to use a flash thumb drive. I moved the Domain.sites file to a flash drive that I always carry around with me. Then I deleted the file from the source folder.

I then opened Terminal and typed these two commands:
$ cd ~/Library/Application Support/iWeb
$ ln -s /Volumes/ThumbDriveName/Domain.sites Domain.sites
The first changes into the proper iWeb directory and the second creates a link (sort of like an alias in the Finder) between the file on the thumb drive and the location where iWeb expects to find the file. Obviously, replace ThumbDriveName with the actual name of your thumb drive.

I can now open iWeb on one computer, make changes, eject the drive, go to another computer, open iWeb, make more changes, etc. I hope that Apple can come up with something easier for us in the future, like using iDisk and making the package smaller.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.