Itunes 11.1 How to move files to itunes media folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I have some mp3's that are located in another folder. How do I get itunes to add these to the itunes media folder? Is there a way to tell it to look at another folder?

Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
First go into the iTunes Preferences. In the Advanced section make sue the option to Copy files to the iTunes folder is checked. Not sure of the exact wording but you get the idea. Close the preferences section and go to the File menu and choose Add To Library. Select the folder with the files you want to add.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Works every time just as Slydude says. We make many home recordings in our business and that's exactly the way we add them to the iTunes media folder and library. Makes it easy later on to sync those recordings to iPods.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Slydude.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. I've had to rebuild my library several times in the last few months. I should have the contents of those dialogs memorized. lol

BTW the last few iterations of iTunes exhibit what I consider to be a rather annoying behavior. Almost any video you import gets tagged initially as "Home Video" regardless of its format, duration, or other attributes. It gets treated that way until you perform a Get Info within iTunes, go to the Options tab and change the type of file. If I remember correctly having to re-import the file into the library leads to the same behavior even if the file whas never moved from the proper folder.

C

chas_m

Another method of adding files to iTunes: open iTunes, drag the files into the main window. Done.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The reason that I ask was because i don't like Itunes searching my Hard Drive. As I have some folders that I imported from windows when a switched from windows. Don't want to end up with duplicates in Itunes. I don't need to keep these old folders but I just feel safer doing it. The two most important things that I keep are music files "most i have had from the 90's" and pictures. I have plenty of HD space so it is not an issue.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another method of adding files to iTunes: open iTunes, drag the files into the main window. Done.

I thought about that and used to use it regularly. For reasons that I haven't bothered to fathom yet it does not seem to be working reliably for me. Sometimes I drag files to the window and they import fine. At other times the import doesn't seem to happen at all.

I can say that importing a small number of files (especially music) that way sometimes occurs quickly enough that if you aren't looking at the screen you won't realize they've been imported.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.