• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Mashing up and creating new dvds from dvds I own

Reaction score
I have a macbook air 11" and a selection of DVDs (each has 3 x 30 minute workouts).

I want to take all of the 'abs' sections (c.30; 5 minutes each; not indexed) and edit onto one DVD and I'm looking for software that will enable me to do this.

I'm looking to be able to do something like this:
1. load the DVD
2. set markers for the section I want to copy
3. copy and dump onto hard drive
4. repeat for all dvdd
5. Burn new DVD from hard drive

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might be able to use "Handbrake for Mac" to rip the DVDs and then re-burn them to the format you desire. Here's a video from MacWorld describing how: LINK

Download Handbrake for Mac from here.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm looking for a simple, all in one application - rip > editor > burn - if possible. I saw a few questions asking about split discs so not sure this app does it all? I have software that will rip the whole DVD (dvd cloner for mac3 - not as good as the previous version) and burn a dvd, so in essence it's the editing bit I really need.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Here is a brute force method I have used on old videos that I didn't want to bother importing for editting. Last time I did it was on footage on VHS Tape of my daughter appearing on the Bozo the Clown show. Turned out surprisingly well.

1) Play video on HDTV
2) Using any video capable camera record display
3) Import to iMovie and edit from there

A good camcorder on tripod would obviously be best, but I just used my iPhone 5 handheld and the resultant captures were indistinguishable from the (admittedly low quality) original.

OP
C
Reaction score
ha, thanks - it's not the polished approach i had in mind... but I can see it being quite easy as a fall back option. In fact, I could cut out the middle man and just film all the sections that way...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.