Safari, unusable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Cool! Glad I could finally help someone, instead of being helped all the time. Oh, and uh...double tap again to zoom back out. You probably already figured that one out by now, tho...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you have a trackpad MacShanes suggestion is GREAT. I found that a while back but forgot as I don't always use my trackpad for everything I do.

Also I am quite sure the Magic Mouse can be set to do the double tap like that. Just did it not long ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
If you have a trackpad MacShanes suggestion is GREAT. I found that a while back but forgot as I don't always use my trackpad for everything I do.

Also I am quite sure the Magic Mouse can be set to do the double tap like that. Just did it not long ago.
Yep. The mouse does it, too. I actually replaced my iMac mouse with a trackpad not too long ago because it can do so much more, and because of space limitations. For some jobs, tho, the mouse is better...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
@dotdotdot

Safari is a stubborn browser in that it won't hold or remember large font sizes without overlapping or zooming (as recommended).

However, there is one more method of getting Safari to behave and show the large font sizes you want. And that is to create a *.css file and place it in your home folder. A css file is a "style sheet" that Safari will use. Follow along:

Create the style sheet with textedit: Here's mine which I named "defaultzoom.css"

body {
zoom: 145%;
}

(You can use any value for zoom that you're comfortable with.) Place the newly created style sheet file in your home folder.

Now, open Safari. Click on Preferences. Go to the Advanced tab. In the Style Sheet box put the name of your new Style Sheet you created. The next time you open Safari, it will zoom to the value you named.

Let me know if that works for you.
I love that you provided a CSS based solution to this problem!

One caveat about chscag's CSS solution - it will only work on pages that wrap everything in body tags. Now, 99.5% of pages will do this because it's quite possibly the most basic element of a well designed (even poorly designed) page. However, it is entirely possible to write a page without body tags so there may be the very rare page in which this CSS won't work (1 in a 1000...maybe). Just a heads up.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
One caveat about chscag's CSS solution - it will only work on pages that wrap everything in body tags. Now, 99.5% of pages will do this because it's quite possibly the most basic element of a well designed (even poorly designed) page. However, it is entirely possible to write a page without body tags so there may be the very rare page in which this CSS won't work (1 in a 1000...maybe). Just a heads up.

Anything that's 99.5% or 1 in a 1000...I'll bet on every time!:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
*double post*

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can't you just lower the output resolution so that everything just scales larger on the screen?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I just did that at your suggestion, but looks like things aren't as crisp and when I jump back to Chrome now it's too large, but I'll mess around with it to reach a happy compromise. Thanks.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now, open Safari. Click on Preferences. Go to the Advanced tab. In the Style Sheet box put the name of your new Style Sheet you created. The next time you open Safari, it will zoom to the value you named.

Let me know if that works for you.

I made a style sheet but can't type in the name. My style sheet is on the Desktop.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.