downloaded files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2009
Help needed please , this might be the wrong place but well i am just needing some advice
i have downloaded files and i want to remove them som of this is music but it is in my tunes account now can i remove them all now and make some much needed room is this possible or will i lose the files for good

example file in my tunes is now playing but if i delete it from all files downloaded history will it remove it from the tunes account ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If you're talking about the All Files folder on the left side of a Finder window (called the Sidebar) then yes, it will be gone from everywhere if you delete it.

C

chas_m

All My Files is not a download history or a separate storage area. It's a smart search of, well, all your files. That means it is a view of all your files regardless of where they are actually stored. Deleting things from All My Files deletes them from wherever they are.

So don't be under the impression you have duplicates that are eating up space. You don't.

I personally got rid of the All My Files folder from the sidebar since I saw no practical use for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
All My Files is not a download history or a separate storage area...

I personally got rid of the All My Files folder from the sidebar since I saw no practical use for it.

Thanks for the comment above, Chas_m - 'All My Files' has been annoying me for months - just went to Finder Preferences and unchecked it from the sidebar - much better! Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I got rid of it long ago. For some reason, it shows up as one of the default items in the Finder Sidebar. I'm sure some folks find it useful, I just have never found a use for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.