Swapping one iMac for another one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2012
I currently have a Late 2012 27” iMac. I am going to buy another 27” 2013 iMac and set my wife up with my 2012 one.

I run Time Machine and Carbon Copy on my current iMac.

What steps do I take in order to move all my stuff from my 2012 iMac to the new 2013 iMac and then clean the 2012 iMac up for my wife?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make a Time Machine full backup of everything on your 2012 machine first. When you get your new 2013 machine and BEFORE creating an account on it do this:

Turn it on, (and again DO NOT create an account) and it will ask you if you wish to transfer data from another Mac. Reply yes. Make sure your Time Machine external drive is attached, select it, reply OK, and sit back and wait. Everything will be transferred including your old account.

Then, you probably should setup the 2012 for your wife with a new account for her. You don't necessarily have to wipe your old account from the 2012, that's up to you.

OP
IndyBob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2012
Thank you much. Seems simple enough.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.