Worried sound in iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
My iMac will soon be 3 years old. Under AppleCare (I only have around 200 days left), the AppleStore just put in a new video card. GREAT!!! ;D

However, I am a bit worried. I just heard a sound coming out of my Imac. I don't know if it was my new video card or the hard drive. I fear something might go wrong again. I certainly don't want it to happen after my Apple Care runs out!!!

Does anyone know what this might be? Opened ended question, I know. :Confused:
I will call Apple Care again. But do they have any tests they run to make sure all the hardware is running okay?

Thank you

M

MacInWin

What sound? "Worried" doesn't help. Is it a fan, or clicking, or buzzing or what? Is it rhythmic or erratic? Is there any connection between the sound and what your are doing? Left/right side, front/back, top/bottom? A couple of clues might help...

Oh, and what iMac? (Click apple logo, About This Mac and report what it says).

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's the larger monitor (27) 3.4 GHZ intel core i7 with 4 GB Ram. I really should increase the Ram.
The sound came from the center back of the monitor. It almost sounded like something was straining. Right now I hear little bop bop bob but it's very, very subtle. Before it was more of a straining sound. That's the best I can put it. Now it's bop, bop... but very, very, very low.

M

MacInWin

I'd take it back to the same Apple store that did the repair and have them look at it. Bop, bop, bop is not any sound that the iMac should make. PITA, carrying it around NYC, but probably well worth it in the long run.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd take it back to the same Apple store that did the repair and have them look at it. Bop, bop, bop is not any sound that the iMac should make. PITA, carrying it around NYC, but probably well worth it in the long run.

I will go make an appointment. Thanks.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not a constant sound.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
PITA, carrying it around NYC, but probably well worth it in the long run.

Especially if you have to carry it on the subway! :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.