HELP! NTFS HDD won't mount!

D

dsquared

I'm in a huge panic right now because my external HD won't mount! It's a 2TB WD Elements that's about 4'ish years old. It was working fine this morning but just now when I tried mounting it, it was seriously lagging and I thought it was a problem with my laptop so I restarted my system. After rebooting my MBP, my external drive just wouldn't mount at all and I got this error message:

Tuxera NTFS could not mount /dev/disk2s1
at /Volumes/FRANCOIS because the following
problem occured:

Aligned I/O enabled.
CBCIO enabled.
WARNING: ReadFully - I/O error while reading from
file (5: "Input/output error")
WARNING: failed at pread(3, 0x102180000, 524288, 3220701184);
WARNING: bytesRead=0
ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output
error
Failed to calculate free MFT records: Input/output
error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run
chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f
parameter is very important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then
first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/
mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the
'dmraid' documentation
for more details.

I tried mounting it on Windows but I can't access it AT ALL, I see it as a HD but there's no indication of its size etc and I even got the message error saying it needs reformatting (!!!) suggesting it's practically a blank! I don't know what to do and am near tears now.

Please help! I have a lot of important files and data which I can't afford to lose in this HD and I really would like to recover it if possible!! Thanks!

EDIT: Gah! HELP! I tried mounting it again after a failed attempt at repairing the disk ala DiskUtility and I got these TWO error messages

Tuxera NTFS could not mount /dev/disk1s1
at /Volumes/FRANCOIS because the following problem occured:

Aligned I/O enabled.
CBCIO enabled.
WARNING: failed at: pread(3, 0x100303400, 65536,
3221226496);
error
Failed to read of MFT, mft=1 count 1 br=-1: Input/
output error
Failed to open inode$MFTMirr: Input/output error
Failed to load $MFTMirr: Input/output error
Failed to mount '/dev/rdisk1s1': Input/output error
chkdsk /f on Windows
first activate
mapper/ directory, (e.g.
'dmraid' documentation
for more details.

Tuxera NTFS could not mount /dev/disk1s1
at /Volumes/FRANCOIS because the following problem occured:

Aligned I/O enabled.
CBCIO enabled.
WARNING: failed at pread(3, 0x102200000,
524288, 3220701184);
error
Failed to calculate free MFT records: Input/output
error
chkdsk /f on Windows
first activate
mapper/ directory, (e.g.
'dmraid' documentation
for more details.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We always advise users to stay clear of Tuxera and other free schemes such as NTFS 3G because they are known to cause I/O write errors. The only driver that is recommended and stable is Paragon NTFS which you can buy for $19.95.

You can not repair that disk using Disk Utility! You're going to need a Windows machine in order to repair it. Try mounting the drive to a Windows machine. If Disk Manager can "see" it, you can try a repair using the Windows utility. (chkdsk)

OP
D

dsquared

We always advise users to stay clear of Tuxera and other free schemes such as NTFS 3G because they are known to cause I/O write errors. The only driver that is recommended and stable is Paragon NTFS which you can buy for $19.95.

You can not repair that disk using Disk Utility! You're going to need a Windows machine in order to repair it. Try mounting the drive to a Windows machine. If Disk Manager can "see" it, you can try a repair using the Windows utility. (chkdsk)

But all hope is not lost? This can definitely be fixed and data won't be lost?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But all hope is not lost? This can definitely be fixed and data won't be lost?

That remains to be seen. You're going to have to try repairing it as I suggested above before you know if your data can be recovered.

Reaction score
hi guys,

I just have simillar issue and error. But I did further steps and still didn't get any solution.
So I have external hdd 2TB Seagate which was formatted under Windows to NTFS file system. I was using it with success on my Mac and Windows machine. My Mac has OSX Fuse and Tuxera-NTFS.
When I connect Seagate to Windows there is no errors and I can read/edit all files. On my Mac I get error as the user above. I ran chkdsk under Windows also with bad sector searching and repair option on (took a few hours) but it didn't fix the issue with mounting on my Mac.
What else can I check/perform?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As noted above, Fuse, NTFS 3G, and Tuxera all cause problems - specifically i/o write errors. The only driver we recommend using with your Mac to read NTFS is the Paragon driver mentioned above.

Reaction score
The Fix

Okay so i had this problem today and was gunna shoot my self because of the data on my hd that i thought would be forever gone..

so before i start to explain the fix let me just clarify what was happening to me; firstly i was transferring files from my hdd to another by copying them to my macbook then back to the other hdd because i only have one cord for the 2 hdd's.... anyway i usually "eject" the disk when remove it but it got to a point where the hdd in question was giving me a message saying it couldn't eject because it was being used although it wasn't... id have to force eject which took a few extra seconds...
after doing this process for a while i got bored and just pulled the cord out a few times and BAM it wouldn't mount anymore and i thought my data was gone forever after all the threads i read

i figured id open disk utility try to repair but it wouldn't repair

Not to worry though the fix is here

Heres what did to fix it:

i noticed the disk wasn't mounted as soon as i opened disk utility so i kept trying to mount it with no success... so right before i gave up i right clicked on the left (the unmounted volume) and tried ejecting it...

A message then read unable to eject disk, i pressed okay... And BAM the disk was mounted again????

i don't know how or why but it did

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.