iPad mini 2 ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" | iPad 1 | iPhone 5
So I'm about to buy an iPad mini for my school, but was wondering if you guys could give me some advice.

I'm hearing rumours about an iPad mini 2 coming out before the holidays, do you think I should wait and see? Or is it just rumours, because Apple announced their new products already (iPhone 5s & 5c) and there's not really a big chance for an iPad mini 2? Retina display and faster chip would be my 2 main reasons to wait.

Thanks in advance! Cheers, Lily :)

C

chas_m

The iPad mini was introduced originally on October 23 of last year.

Nobody knows for certain when a refreshed model is coming out, but there is still PLENTY of time for Apple to announce a new one and still reap the xmas buying season. I feel very very confident new iPads will be announced sometime in October.

Whether the new model will have a Retina display or not is entirely up for grabs. Not having one didn't hurt the previous model *one little bit,* and if adding a Retina display makes it more expensive or delays it coming out for xmas Apple might well go with the same display they have now.

IF Apple brings out a new iPad mini this year (and I certainly believe they will), I can promise it will have significant improvements over the previous one, but beyond that nobody knows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'd give myself a deadline (like x-mas or Jan 1st) and if you don't see one announced by then, just get a refurbished in the online Apple Store.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm hearing rumours about an iPad mini 2 coming out before the holidays, do you think I should wait and see?

My question back to you is...If this rumor is true...can you wait till the holidays to purchase an iPad mini 2 (if Apple actually releases it by then)? If so...then wait.:)

The best time to purchase an Apple product is right after a new model is released. Then you know for sure that you will have the "latest & greatest" for a little while (at least until the iPad mini 3 comes out)!;)

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" | iPad 1 | iPhone 5
Thank you so much guys! I'm probably going waiting till xmas or so, to see if Apple comes with a new awesome iPad mini. If not, I'll buy the current one.

Have a great day everyone!
Lily

C

chas_m

Well, look: if Apple's going to announce an iPad update in 2013, it has to do so by Thanksgiving weekend at the absolute latest -- and most people would say that's way too late.

So I don't think you have to wait till xmas to work this out.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Retina upgrade would be nice. I have the gen 1 iPad Mini and used to swear I would jump on a Retina version when Apple released one. Now, I'm not sure.

I really love my Mini and not sure Retina would make it that much better . . . all bets are off, though, if they ever release a 13in Retina model.

C

chas_m

I personally would be surprised if they released a Retina iPad mini. On the other hand, because its a smaller screen it might be somewhat cheaper to make than the full-size Retina screens used in the regular iPads.

I'm much more hopeful of a next-gen full-size iPad that is significantly lighter. I like the larger screen, just want it to be lighter.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm much more hopeful of a next-gen full-size iPad that is significantly lighter. I like the larger screen, just want it to be lighter.

Amen!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.