What Digital Camera do you have . . . Share your baby with me please !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Long story short, im going to get into photography a lot more now, as my life has changed and i have the time to do so.
Basically I want to know DSLR you have in your Kit Bag. I was thinking Hasselblad, then I thought meh, i can do better lol, but seriously, what do you have as your main choice of weapon, to use and compete in todays market of Digital Photography.

I know we have plenty of threads on here with people asking which, what, why, how and when, but now most of those members now have their camera. From the top im looking/thinking Nikon and im up to around $2500 for a body and lens pack, and i want to use this list of everyones camera as a guide so i can whittle down the candidates.

Once you let me know of your choice, please dont be shy in your reviews or Pro's and Con's about your camera and if you had the chance to would you swap it out for something else.
Just promise me to be honest, as i want this as a investment and to be multi lens compatible as well.
I just out layed the big $ for Aperture and NIK Suite, (before the camera . . . Doh) but im looking for one, and please point me to a site, be it in the US as the Aussie dollar is good at the moment, and if i can use that to my advantage as well. . . .

So im looking at you BobMielke, Razor, CR, Chas . . . . And anyone else that has anything to say too :)

TM

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Your big long term investment is in lenses. And, there really aren't any bad DSLR choices today.
My reccomendation is to pick a system first (you seem to be leaning Nikon-which I also like). After that, get an inexpensive package to learn on. Don't invest a lot in lenses until you know better what you need.

So, I think you should:

1) Buy a refurb D7000
2) Read most of what is on Thom Hogan's site
3) Post more info on what you want to do/shoot with your rig

EDIT: Was heading out the door when I made my post so had to cut it short. Will add my kit now.

Bodies:
Nikon D5000
Nikon 1 V2

Lenses:
18-55 VR
55-200 VR
70-300 VR
18-200 VR
35 f1.8
50 f1.8
Sigma 17-50 HSM f2.8

Accessories:
SB400 Flash
Manfrotto Tripod and Ballhead
FT-1 Adaptor (to use my big lenses on the V2)

I have no real complaints about anything I've bought, though if I knew then what I know now would have saved a bit of money. This post is getting a bit long so will quit for now, but you really need to know your interests when it comes to buying kit.

Are you mainly interested in
1) Landscape
2) Wildlife
3) Sports
4) Street
5) Portraits and Studio

Your emphasis will significantly impact what fits best for you.
In my case, I am interested in 1, 2 and 5 in that order. So, longterm I will probably end up with an FX body (big and pricey) and use my V2 or it's replacement for when I want to go really long.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thanks Mike, and i suppose it would of been a good idea to let you know what i want to shoot ;)

I live in the Country, in Western Australia, and this region was founded in late 1835 ish and there are so many old homesteads, buildings, bridges and so on, that i would love to capture. So 1st it would be Landscapes, Sports, Streets when im in the big smoke, and then Studio and experimentation with Lighting and water, smoke and bubbles. OH and of course Macro :D

I have so much beautiful country to photograph in here in the Sth West corner of WA i want to make the most of it.
And the Beautiful Wildflowers we have here in the right season.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really hard to go wrong with the D7000 as a starter. I plan on picking up a refurb body myself (around $700 USD). It has the ability to auto-focus fine tune and will also auto-focus with older lenses. Image Quality is as about as good as you can get with DX (APS-C sized sensor). To get any better Image Quality you will have to step up to FX (35mm Film equivalent sensor) which is a LOT more money.
Add to that a couple of primes, the 70-300 VR (a real value in a telephoto zoom), your choice of Wide Angle (I have the Tokina 11-16 f2.8) and SB 700 Flash and you will probably still have change left from your $2500 if you shop carefully.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/757708-REF/Nikon_25468B_Refurbished_D7000_DSLR_Camera.html

http://www.adorama.com/INKD7000R.html

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really hard to go wrong with the D7000 as a starter. I plan on picking up a refurb body myself (around $700 USD). It has the ability to auto-focus fine tune and will also AF older lenses. IQ is as about as good as you can get with DX.

Come on Mike ??? lol Even though my Ex is a Professional i NEVER took any interest when she talked to me hahaha

So again in layman's terms for now please mate

Add to that a couple of primes, the 70-300 VR (a real value in a telephoto zoom), your choice of Wide Angle (I have the Tokina 11-16 f2.8) and SB 700 Flash and you will probably still have change left from your $2500 if you shop carefully.

Thanks this is what i wanted, your making suggestions so i can make a decision.
I know we have a few Photographers in here, so would like your point of view as well, or if you agree with the above let me know, please.

To be honest, to start out with, im wanting not really a starter body, i was thinking, get a body, that is more amateur not beginner, and then work on the lenses as i get more into it. I really dont want to get a body, then a year or so down the track, wanting/having to upgrade, i sort of want to future proof myself in the body stakes, then as i said, work on the lenses, or do you honestly believe, its better to start out, as you said with a 'starter' and then upgrade down the track ??

And remembering, ill need the Bag, Tripod, Remote Cable ?? Accessories are great aren't they haha

PS : That does look like a nice piece of Kit though in the Link . . . . That gets me excited

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be honest, to start out with, im wanting not really a starter body, i was thinking, get a body, that is more amateur not beginner, and then work on the lenses as i get more into it. I really dont want to get a body, then a year or so down the track, wanting/having to upgrade, i sort of want to future proof myself in the body stakes, then as i said, work on the lenses, or do you honestly believe, its better to start out, as you said with a 'starter' and then upgrade down the track ??

And remembering, ill need the Bag, Tripod, Remote Cable ?? Accessories are great aren't they haha

PS : That does look like a nice piece of Kit though in the Link . . . . That gets me excited

I figured you wouldn't want an entry level camera, which is why I recommended the D7000. It is either one step below pro level (or first step pro) depending on your perspective.

EDIT: I'll go back and edit my other post into English

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured you wouldn't want an entry level camera, which is why I recommended the D7000. It is either one step below pro level (or first step pro) depending on your perspective.

EDIT: I'll go back and edit my other post into English

LOL Thanks mate.
I have just done some reading and i think your right on the $. I found https://www.becextech.com.au/digital-slr-cameras-nikon-slr-cameras-nikon-d7000-7000-dslr-camera-free-insurance-year-australian-warranty-p-486.html#.UkOcxhbIdTs for $679 and its in Australian $. OH and i think it means NEW as well, not refurbished which has to be a bonus ?? Yea ?/ You dont have to run a Camera in do you ??

All the reviews i have read, this cam out late 2011 and everyone raves about it, saying, its such a versatile DSLR and great for any Level entry Photographer.
I think you nailed it man, and now ill go back and read the Englkish so i have some idea what you mean :p

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Mike:

Does AAFES have anything decent to buy? I've noticed you haven't really made any of those purchases there. Our Navy Exchange here in Fort Worth has a nice line of cameras but with my knowledge of what's good and what isn't, I don't have any idea if anything they carry is top of the line?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mike:

Does AAFES have anything decent to buy? I've noticed you haven't really made any of those purchases there. Our Navy Exchange here in Fort Worth has a nice line of cameras but with my knowledge of what's good and what isn't, I don't have any idea if anything they carry is top of the line?

They closed our exchange about 2 years ago, so haven't looked since, but I'll check to see if I can find out what they carry and prices.

EDIT: looks like they have a decent selection and prices are comparable to B&H Photo

http://shop.aafes.com/shop/Search/d...ctronics&category|cat_14000|14110=SLR+Cameras

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brent,
Really good deal here on a package. New, not refurb. Includes camera bag and spare battery.

Nikon D7000 DSLR Camera Kit with Nikon 18-105mm DX VR Lens 25474

Ok cool man Cheers. So what is that a decent lens then the NIKKOR 18-105mm DX VR Lens ??
Looks like a $200-$400 lens that come with it yea ??

And i know it will be getting late for you so dont think you need to keep at it for my sake mate. I can pick up later tonight or tomorrow my end, but at least i have a bloody good idea at what im looking for now :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Long story short, im going to get into photography a lot more now, as my life has changed and i have the time to do so.
Basically I want to know DSLR you have in your Kit Bag.

Sounds like you're looking to purchase something new...telling you what I have (older) may not be much help!;)

Sounds like you want to mostly hear from folks that have purchased newer gear (like within the last 2 years or so).:)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok cool man Cheers. So what is that a decent lens then the NIKKOR 18-105mm DX VR Lens ??
Looks like a $200-$400 lens that come with it yea ??

And i know it will be getting late for you so dont think you need to keep at it for my sake mate. I can pick up later tonight or tomorrow my end, but at least i have a bloody good idea at what im looking for now :)

The 18-105mm is the standard kit lens that comes on the higher end DX cameras. It's a decent lens and covers a good range for a 'walk around' zoom.

EDIT: Bear with me while I philosophize some on this subject . . . . :)

I like to buy neat electronic gizmos, gadgets and stuff, and I suspect I'm not a lot different from most of the members on this forum. But, photography is an area where you can spend a LOT for not much gain.

Bottomline: you can't buy experience or skill.

Where I'm coming from is this; take a look at my gear. My main camera body is a D5000 (mid level body now 3 generations and soon to be 4 behind) and several decent 'consumer grade' lenses. Why?
Why don't I have a D7100 or D600, or even D800 and a bunch of top grade lenses? I'm not rich by any means, but it isn't because I couldn't afford them.
The reason I still have and use my current stuff is because my D5000 is still a better camera and my lenses are still better lenses, than I am a photographer.

If one of my pics turns out lacking that special something (and most do) it isn't because my camera and lenses weren't up to the task and they failed. It is most of the time because of me, a failure in technique or creative eye. I can't buy those, but am slowly improving in both. When and if my equipment becomes the main reason for something missing in my photos I will upgrade. Heck, I intend to upgrade anyway, just not in a big hurry.

The point is, the D7000 is a wonderful camera (the Canon alternatives are wonderful as well). It won't let you down. The 18-105mm is a very good entry level lens and quite cheap packaged like this. It will do you wonders while you learn what tools (lenses and bodies, etc) that you really need to suit your shooting and style. Honestly, the D3100 for half as much would suffice to start (but you wouldn't be happy with it, nor would I).
So, the best advice I can give is to go slow and not over buy until you know what you really want and need.

Cheers,
RavingMac
(Mike)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's all your fault, Brent . . . I've been looking at camera links for you and now I want a new one too! ;P

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's all your fault, Brent . . . I've been looking at camera links for you and now I want a new one too! ;P

Ohhhh oops, quick i need to tell your wife i dont know you ;P

But on the other hand, looks like im out of luck with B&H
7Ws2hL7.jpg

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 18-105mm is the standard kit lens that comes on the higher end DX cameras. It's a decent lens and covers a good range for a 'walk around' zoom.

EDIT: Bear with me while I philosophize some on this subject . . . . :)

I like to buy neat electronic gizmos, gadgets and stuff, and I suspect I'm not a lot different from most of the members on this forum. But, photography is an area where you can spend a LOT for not much gain.

Bottomline: you can't buy experience or skill.

Where I'm coming from is this; take a look at my gear. My main camera body is a D5000 (mid level body now 3 generations and soon to be 4 behind) and several decent 'consumer grade' lenses. Why?
Why don't I have a D7100 or D600, or even D800 and a bunch of top grade lenses? I'm not rich by any means, but it isn't because I couldn't afford them.
The reason I still have and use my current stuff is because my D5000 is still a better camera and my lenses are still better lenses, than I am a photographer.

If one of my pics turns out lacking that special something (and most do) it isn't because my camera and lenses weren't up to the task and they failed. It is most of the time because of me, a failure in technique or creative eye. I can't buy those, but am slowly improving in both. When and if my equipment becomes the main reason for something missing in my photos I will upgrade. Heck, I intend to upgrade anyway, just not in a big hurry.

The point is, the D7000 is a wonderful camera (the Canon alternatives are wonderful as well). It won't let you down. The 18-105mm is a very good entry level lens and quite cheap packaged like this. It will do you wonders while you learn what tools (lenses and bodies, etc) that you really need to suit your shooting and style. Honestly, the D3100 for half as much would suffice to start (but you wouldn't be happy with it, nor would I).
So, the best advice I can give is to go slow and not over buy until you know what you really want and need.

Cheers,
RavingMac
(Mike)

And you never cease to amaze me.
THIS is exactly what i needed to hear, because i AM the type to go out and get that D7100 a Macro, 300mm Zoom, and you name it, and at the end of the day, still wonder why there isnt 1 good shot in the 1000 i have taken.
I have already taken 1 course and im have several others lined up from Udemy.com to do with Photography, but this statement above, has just pulled me back into line and i totally understand where your coming from with this.
I know i can take a good shot, BUT you just booted me in the backside and confirmed its not the camera, its the person behind the camera, SO i will be gentle in what i buy . . .

Its what i needed to hear, and its great philosophy Mike, and very much appreciated and blunt too, which i know thats how it was meant to be ;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ohhhh oops, quick i need to tell your wife i dont know you ;P

But on the other hand, looks like im out of luck with B&H
7Ws2hL7.jpg

Ow!
That's a bummer. :(

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I have the Nikon 18-200 and it is a decent lens. Always a trade off on really wide range zooms vs performance. It's convenient to be able to go from 18 to 270mm without changing lenses, but in order to get that something else has to slip or it gets expensive.

I use my 18-200 as a walk around lens so I can't and won't argue against it, but in general you'll get more pop IMO if you stick with lenses that cover a smaller range. Having said that, I like my 18-200 and it makes good pics.

Haven't tried the 18-270 though.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the Nikon 18-200 and it is a decent lens. Always a trade off on really wide range zooms vs performance. It's convenient to be able to go from 18 to 270mm without changing lenses, but in order to get that something else has to slip or it gets expensive.

I use my 18-200 as a walk around lens so I can't and won't argue against it, but in general you'll get more pop IMO if you stick with lenses that cover a smaller range. Having said that, I like my 18-200 and it makes good pics.

Haven't tried the 18-270 though.

Ok sweet, and because the Aust Shipping debacle im looking at Nikon D7000 Body Only Digital SLR Cameras :: Nikon :: - eglobal Digital Cameras Online and from your help ill look for a 18 x 105 mm to go with it, to start out, then move on from there. I think $650 for the D7000 is a bloody good price in AUD and ill save a crap load on postage, so i might shopping cart this, and go hunting for a 105mm and ill show you before hand so i know im getting the right one :)
Thanks again Mike for your up frontness ;)

PS : This shop even gives 24 month Warranty too which is a bonus
PPS : Lense ??

zn1KJ8b.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.