Adding song to iphone manually in IOS7

Reaction score
How do you do it? I've always added songs to my iphone manually. 'Manually manage music and videos' is checked under my iphone settings on itunes and yet every time I drag a song or album I want on to my iphone, itunes then attempts to transfer every single song in my itunes on to the phone. I've even tried checking and unchecking every single song in my library. It's driving me nuts!

Anyone else know a way around this?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I also have the manually manage music option checked and have a smart playlist that is used to sync my iPod. The playlist has a bunch of criteria to give me different (and hopefully new) music each time I sync my iPod. I haven't found that this method causes all of the music to be sync'ed..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If i want to add one song its easy for me i created an iPhone playlist so each time I want to delete or add a song I drag it to the list or delete it from the list and in Devices under iTunes I have music with a check only on iPhone playlists.

OP
X
Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions but I'm still having problems.

Smart playlists are useless to me because you can't add albums to them individually, you have to set conditions and itunes does it for you. Having said that I tried putting a smart playlist on to my iPhone anyway but it still did the same and just tried to add everything.

I know about how to create playlists and how you can add individual songs to them OSXX, I tried that one. But that too didn't work. As soon as I drag something to my iPhone in the devices tab, be it an individual song, album or playlist, iTunes still attempts to dump everything in the library onto my iPhone. Really can't work out where I'm going wrong.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I would turn off the 'manually manage' option and just sync a single playlist to your device. Add the albums you are interested in to that play list and you are good to go. You can still play an individual album on your iOS device once they have been sync'ed.

I managed the music on my iPhone like this for a couple of years before they started selling the 64GB models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
OK go back to iTunes > Devices>iPhone >Music > make sure in the top of the box only selected playlists,artists,albums,and games is the one checked.
Now look at your categories of playlists,artists,genres and albums if you only select a playlist or album and nothing else is checked and you hit the sync button bottom right the the phone,pad or pod has no choice but to only load those.
I don't use the Cloud for syncing my music so if you are using that someone else will have to answer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.