iPad browser problem with ios7

Reaction score
Now I've upgraded to ios7 on my iPad, all browsers (safari, Chrome, Mercury) have same problem in that they no longer return to the last place on previous page. So I might be reading a newspaper article summary half way down a page, then click on it to get more detail, which opens a new page, but on returning to first page it opens somewhere near the top. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Mercury as a test, but no difference. As the problem is with all browsers I'm wondering if it could possibly be an ios7 issue. Any suggestions for solving would be gratefully received.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Can i try and understand you more ?? Do you mean, if you touch on a link, and it loads that link in the same page, then you hit the back button and the page loads again, but near the top, is that whats happening ? If this is what you mean. I have done this just now in Safari, Chrome, Dolphin and Atomic, and i get taken back to the point of the page i was reading.
I would say you have had a corrupt upgrade.

and in this instant, its always backup first and then see if you can go here and download the iOS 7 .ispw then via iTunes hold down Option while you click Restore and navigate to the downloaded .ispw and restore from a clean iOS 7 then restore from backup.

A way around this is too, long hold the link, and open in a New Tab and read then close. ??

OP
C
Reaction score
Many thanks for a quick reply TattooedMac, you've understood the problem correctly. I'll give your suggestion a try.

OP
C
Reaction score
Problem persists even with fresh install of ios7. However, it seems to be particularly online newspapers that have this problem (example is Washington post or Daily Telegraph, but you have to scroll well down a page to test whether the browser is returning to the same point). Other sites I've now tried, such as Wikipedia and New Scientist magazine, work fine. I'm puzzled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
HMmm yea well im out of idea's and it could even be the way those papers have written their code for Mobile devices ?? Not 100% sure, BUT it is a possibility. If i was you, i would be doing a Long Hold on the Link then Open in a Different Tab then close that Tab down when done, which will bring you back to the page and place you left ?!?!? Its all i have lol

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The problem happens across browsers because, underneath, they're all the same. Apple does not allow applications into the App Store that interpret code (effectively all a browser does when opening a webpage) so each browser actually uses Safari's WebKit component underneath. Thus, behaviours in one are likely to appear across all browsers.

Given that it happens on only a few pages, I'm willing to bet that it has something to do with how the page ie designed. How that's so is beyond me but this might be something that you have to deal with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.