Using iphoto

Reaction score
Iphoto has a feature where you can create a photo album/scapbook. I was wondering if I can just make and save one digitally. It seems to be designed to create a book which they then want you to buy. How does it work?

C

chas_m

The "book" creation mechanism can simply be printed out or saved as a PDF if you want, but bear in mind that spending a very few dollars (maybe $20-30?) will get you something SO INCREDIBLY MUCH BETTER than anything you can do with a printer (et al) that once you have one you will laugh at yourself for ever even thinking of not buying the book (we've all had this thought, but seriously making the book/calendar/etc for gifts was one of the smartest and most appreciated things I have ever done).

OP
U
Reaction score
I want to have students make a book as an assignment, so there's no need to print anything out. I can't find the "save" function. Where's it located?

OP
U
Reaction score
I also need to know if there's a way to back up the book you make in iphoto. Can you save your book as a pdf and then somehow import it back into iphoto?

C

chas_m

I want to have students make a book as an assignment, so there's no need to print anything out. I can't find the "save" function. Where's it located?

I also need to know if there's a way to back up the book you make in iphoto. Can you save your book as a pdf and then somehow import it back into iphoto?

You can save a book to PDF by simply choosing "print" and clicking the little "PDF" button at the bottom left of the print dialog window.

Your normal Time Machine backup (which you are OF COURSE doing) is backing up the project in iPhoto too.

If you save the book as a PDF, no it cannot be re-imported into iPhoto.

OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. A new problem I'm having is that sometimes when the iphoto book app is opened, all the pages get populated with images that were in iphoto already. What causes that and how do you clear it without having to make deletions in each individual page? Also, what does it mean if I can't find the "create book" option?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.