Old slow MacBook getting me down- can it be magicked?

Reaction score
Hi,

So I have an old MacBook I have been using for a few years. It's pretty slow and clunky but it's been bearable for the email and browsing I've been using it for. I've used the family desktop for anything else

However I have recently moved out of my parent's place (woo hoo!) making this MacBook my sole personal computer (I have a work PC and work laptop), and I am realising how painfully out of date and slow it is.

What I want to know is, is it possible to upgrade the software (and some of the hardware) to bring it int the current century, or do I need to bite the bullet and buy a new one?

I'd need a new battery (current one holds no charge) and an external hard drive at least, and am thinking it may be worth junking this machine. However I am low on funds so would probably have to switch to a cheap Windows machine, which is sad as I have liked the Mac.

What do you think? Can this be revived?

Here's the deets:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB31.008E.B02
SMC Version (system): 1.24f2
System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
How full is the hard drive? That's usually a factor when we see posts like this. You want at least 15% free space, more is better.

I don't know what year that MB is, but you might be able to up the RAM to 2GB - that would help. Go to Crucial's website and see how high you can go with that.

And after that you can upgrade to Snow Leopard (10.6.8). That would also help. You can call Apple to inquire about a SL install DVD for about $30. Just be sure to research any 3rd party apps you may use to make sure they are compatible with SL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Alas slow bus speed, insufficient memory and slow processor. Best option is to update. Do not junk advertise on eBay or such.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That Mac will take up to 6 GB RAM.

Just can't swing a new one and want to stay with OS X instead of going to Windows...

I'd upgrade it to 4 GB RAM - $60 - OWC
Snow Leopard - $20 - Apple
WD Black 1 TB - $85 - Amazon
Battery - $90 - OWC
US prices of course - You'll have to shop for UK stores.

That Mac would be faster than the day it came out of the box new and by a decent margin.
And I'd speculate as good as any of the $350-$450 Windows machine you can get.
Those upgrades should get you another 18 and maybe 24 months out of it while you save up for the latest and greatest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.