iOS 7 and voice memos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini: Core i7, Fusion drive
I use voice memo (the built in app from Apple) to record lectures. Now the voice memo app will not play the memos when the phone is locked. I use to be able to click play and it would play straight through even if the phone locks; now in iOS 7 the voice memo won't play when the phone locks and the only other option is to change the lock time to "never" so the display stays lit but that is hard on the battery. Any ideas on how to correct this?

Reaction score
I use voice memo (the built in app from Apple) to record lectures. Now the voice memo app will not play the memos when the phone is locked. I use to be able to click play and it would play straight through even if the phone locks; now in iOS 7 the voice memo won't play when the phone locks and the only other option is to change the lock time to "never" so the display stays lit but that is hard on the battery. Any ideas on how to correct this?

No. But I did notice a step down with the app from iOS 6. This is my suggestion so take it or leave it. DO NOT use your phone for recording lectures, but purchase a Olympus stand alone digital voice recorder. I know this will cost you extra money but you wont regret it. Once you see that it has 10 times more features, and is far more reliable you wont look back. The Phone is just designed for simple notes, but anything serious I'd go to a stand alone unit.

Reaction score
I just tested this on my IPhone 5 voice memo (I record my lectures as well), and I was able to play back the lecture and still continue to listen to it when I manually locked my phone. I have been playing the lectures back like that the last few days and have had no problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.