Which One?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Just a hypothetical question:

For the same price (within £20), I could buy either a new 8GB iPhone 4S (£349) or a new 64GB iPod Touch (£329).

I know there is a huge difference between the capabilities of the two devices, but just theoretically, given the choice (and the money), which would you choose? :)

For further comparison, the 32GB iPod Touch is £249 - and the 16GB iPhone5C is £469. Not even going to think about the price of the other iPhones :eek:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If needing to make phone calls is one of your requirements, then the iPod Touch is immediately eliminated..if listening to (and carrying a large number of) music/video is a requirement, then the iPhone is eliminated..

Even theoretical questions should be bound with some constraints..i.e., how you intend to use these devices..:)

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Just a thought - based on the fact that two very different devices are almost the same price.

Of course, which one to buy - if either - would depend on requirements.

It also depends on whether you can get used to the childish icons and script used in iOS7 :Cool:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
While the price is one aspect of the purchase, buying a device that doesn't fit your need is foolhardy..:)

Also, I've been using iOS 7 since it's release and it's fine with me..

I remember ALL the discussion from people saying that the old iOS style and design was getting old in the tooth and should be changed and so on..and well Apple did, and now people are saying that the style is too different and they should go back..damned if you do, damned if you don't..:)

Like anything..people will adapt and move on..

C

chas_m

Since it is not physically possible for me to listen to more than 8GB worth of music in a day (or in my case, a week!), I miss the point of a 64GB device for music. It doesn't take more than a few moments to swap out 8GB of new music every week (hint: smart playlist, "least listened to") and between that and iTunes Radio or other Internet radio, I am never hurting for fresh tunes.

So what we're really talking about is £330-ish for either:
a. A device that has somewhat-limited storage for music that requires a bit of management (or iTunes Match) but has Siri and a phone, or

b. A device that needs a bit less management in the music and can hold more but lacks a phone.

So ... do you need a phone becomes the key question, really. Well, that and "are you very lazy?" :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.