Burning DVDs

Reaction score
Can ANYONE HELP ME IN DESCRIBING THE BEST & SHORTEST WAY TO DUPLICATE A DVD? I MEAN THE ACTUAL STEPES ONE TAKERS.
I HAVE AN OLD DVD OF A 1940'S MOVIE A FRIEND LENT ME AND I AM TRYING TO DUPLICATE IT - IT IS NOT AVAILABLE TO BUY ON THE OPEN MARKET. WHEN I RIP THE CONTENTS, THEN USE MIRO VIDEO CONVERTER, I AM ASKED TO CHOOSE A FILE. IT IS ON MY DESKTOP, BUT NOT HIGHLIGHTED, SO I CANNOT "CHOOSE" IT TO OPEN.

I AM ALMOST 60 YEARS OLD AND LOST IN THBIS PROCESS.

IF ANYONE CAN HELP IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED - I AM "OLD SCHOOL" AND WHAT WAS AVAILABLE IN DAYS GONE BY IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO RESPONDS,THIS SEEMS INSURMOUNTABLE AND I AM NOT AS HIP AS YOU GUYS ARE.

Reaction score
I don't know how to burn a dvd but I remember my cousing a NERO software or NERO Essentials? Have you heard about that?

OP
J
Reaction score
Alice- thank you so much for your reply (swiftly). I have not looked into Nero - i haver Burn, Miro, + plenty more programs & I have found that Miro (convert to Apple TV) is excellent, but in the actual process of BURNING I am completely confused and bedazzled. I just am not proficient enough and hoped someone would be able to help. Again, thank you so much - I will loook into Nero.

C

chas_m

If you want to DUPLICATE a DVD (ie burn an exact copy), then I would suggest using Disk Utility, which is in your Utilities folder.

In Disk Utility, you would see your mounted disc in the sidebar on the left. From the File menu in the menubar, you would choose "New" -> Disk Image from (the name of the disc). Save the resulting image on your desktop temporarily. The image format should be set to "DVD/CD Master" and encryption set to "none."

Once that step is done, eject the movie DVD you just made a copy of. Put in a blank DVD of the same size (4.7GB or 8.4GB double-sided -- whatever the original disc's capacity was). Choose "Burn" from the Images menu in the menubar in Disk Utility, point it to the image file on your desktop. That should be it -- after a little while you will have a fresh disc that is an exact copy of the disc you put in originally.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nero is an outstanding piece of Software but it's NOT for Macs nor OSX! It's Windows software.

If the DVD is like you say and just home movies, Chas's way will work. If you want a NERO like application for the Mac, Roxio Toast is the Mac software that does all that NERO does but on the Mac!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.