Help desperately needed with desktop glitch and spinning beach ball problem!

Reaction score
Hi there,

Behold my problem; I fell asleep last night with my Macbook Pro on the bed beside me - when I woke up this morning the screen had frozen on the screensaver, the laptop was very hot and the fan sounded as if it was working on overdrive. I immediately powered down the laptop by holding down the power button and brought it to a cooler place to cool down.

After 10 or so minutes, I powered it back on. It started up okay, maybe a little slower than usual, but I managed to login successfully. I then noticed that the desktop had started 'glitching' so to speak - in intervals of 10 or so seconds, it will momentarily flicker from the desktop image to a grey screen with the notification centre window on the right hand side visable for a second, all of the desktop items remain in place however during this (it's like it's just happening in the background). I also noticed I cannot open the notification centre by clicking its symbol on the top right corner of the screen.

Besides this, any action that I try to do, however small (clicking the Apple symbol to get to System Preferences for example) results in a spinning beach ball of doom. When I hover the mouse over the dock it takes a moment to appear and I can't seem to open any applications from the dock. The overall system performance seems to have deteriorated greatly and in its present state is almost unusable with all the stopping and starting brought about by this desktop 'refreshing' itself. I should add that it is only the desktop that seems to be doing this.

At the moment I am repairing disk permissions to see if that does any good. I had a look online to see if I could find help with this problem but can't seem to find advice that pertains to this problem exactly. Any help would be most sincerely appreciated, this has happened at the worst possible time!!

romb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I'll offer some basic troubleshooting steps.

Create a second user on the system and log in as the new user to see if the problem follows the user.

Boot to alternate media such as the Mountain Lion recovery environment or ML install media created from the InstallESD.dmg to see if the behavior exist.

Boot into Safe Mode.

Reset SMC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not good using laptops on the bed as you have found out. If no improvement enter Recovery Mode and run Repair Disk and see if that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.