• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

.AVI movies in iMovie

Reaction score
I have a night vision camera and it records .AVI movies but I can't get iMovie (9.0.9) on my MacBook Pro to recognise them. How can I "import" them to iMovie for editing? Do I need other software?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Here you go:
iMovie only reads AVI that both the audio and the video were compressed by using a codec that iMovie can recognize. If your AVI video files are not imported, it's because of the codec used to create the AVI file is not supported by iMovie, even if you have Perian installed, which only allows you to play AVI in QuickTime. If you want to edit AVI in iMovie, the easy option would be converting the AVI files to an iMovie compatible format, like MOV, MP4, or M4V.
To achieve this try using "Any Video Converter" available from the App Store for free then import into iVideo.
Cheers

OP
C
Reaction score
Cheers Rod, I'm off to the store!

Ok, back from the store but typical Apple, it'll cost money - unless you want a large red banner across the video!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Cheers Rod, I'm off to the store!

Ok, back from the store but typical Apple, it'll cost money - unless you want a large red banner across the video!

Sorry cheddar-caveman when I downloaded it it was free.

C

chas_m

An addendum to this thread -- Adapter (free) from Macroplant was updated to version 2.0 and works well. These days I use iFFmpeg ($10), MPEG Streamclip (free) or Permute ($10) depending on what I want to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.