inherited imac defeating me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2006 17" imac, iphone 3gs 16GB, ipod video 30GB, iphone 4 16GB, ipod touch gen4
Hi all,
Please help a mac newbie out, I have inherited an imac, model number a1208, which has only one operating system installed (windows 7) which is unbootable and is definitely a software issue, I have tried restoring or repairing the installation, neither of which work, presumably because of how it is installed on an imac and what I really want to do is put it back to running mac osx so it is "as nature intended", I also do not have a recovery disk or installation cd of any version of mac os.

Is there any hope for me? I am a long time pc user , builder, modder, but totally newbie with a mac

Please help if you can, thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Since it is an older Mac, I would suggest buying OS 10.6 Snow Leopard disc from Apple...$20. Install the OS and the dl the Combo Updater (<<important) from Apple. This should get you started.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My Mactracker identifies your machine as a late 17" 2006 iMac. In order to restore Mac OS X on that machine you'll need to do two things:

1. Buy a Snow Leopard install DVD from Apple (OS X 10.6.X) ($19.99) in order to install OS X.

2. Before using the DVD to install, you'll need reset the NVRAM - PRAM on that machine first. Follow the directions to do that from here.

3. Boot the machine with the Snow Leopard DVD, accept the language and license. Instead of installing, go to the top menu "Utilities", and select "Disk Utility". Use Disk Utility to erase the hard drive, format it as Mac OS X Journaled File System.

4. After that, install Snow Leopard. Once Snow Leopard is installed, go to software update and bring Snow Leopard up to date.

That should do it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also hold down the C key with the Snow Leopard DVD in the drive so it will boot from the DVD. Right after the start up sound, hold C and keep it down.

Do everything above first.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2006 17" imac, iphone 3gs 16GB, ipod video 30GB, iphone 4 16GB, ipod touch gen4
Thankyou all very much off to order snow leopard now and I will update you how I get on :) expect to see me all over this forum asking dilly questions once I get it up and running (maybe before) :-/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
I like dilly questions.

I should have been more detailed in my earlier post...but I saw where you had been a long time PC user, builder, and modder.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like dilly questions.

I should have been more detailed in my earlier post...but I saw where you had been a long time PC user, builder, and modder.

Oh, apparently so do I, must be a combo of chunky fingers and an android keyboard, cant wait to pose my first dilly question!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.