Compressed C Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011
OK I should have researched a bit before doing something like this :l

I compressed the C Drive on my Windows partition hoping to save up some space, that was the only drive in the Windows partition. When I switch my Mac off and boot back into Windows, it says the "C Drive is compressed" and to press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. The keyboard doesn't seem to work or respond in this mode (this shows up in some commandline-input mode. P.S not familiar with this stuff)

I tried an external Logitech keyboard (connected by wire), the keyboard still doesn't respond, though this external keyboard works fine in the Mac partition.

The Windows partition is Windows 7 and the OS X is Mountain Lion 10.8.5

What are my options? :S

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What are my options? :S

As you found out, compressed drives are not supported when dual booting from a Boot Camp installation. Go back to OS X, start the Boot Camp Assistant, and tell it to remove the Boot Camp partition. That will restore your hard drive space to OS X once more. Then you can use Boot Camp again to create another partition and reinstall Windows 7.

I can't even advise you to make a copy of your Windows 7 installation because you have no access to it. Sorry I don't know of another solution. Perhaps someone else may have a better suggestion.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I didn't realize that about the compressed partition. Not much chance of me doing that though. I've been nervous about this type of compression since my early days on a Mac. There was a program at the time that compressed things at the driver level to create more room. When a reviewer pointed out that this had to be done at the driver level I realized the fubar potential.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011
remove the whole partition and reinstall Windows?? 0_0

isn't there anyway to format that partition, similar to a hard drive format on a Windows PC? Or does it not work that way on dual booted Mac? :S

I don't mind losing data, but I don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling Windows all over again. :l

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not sure what the solution is to your problem but I don't know a way to format the Windows drive and preserve Windows. When a drive or partition is formatted everything (OS and personal data) is removed.

M

MacInWin

At the risk of disclosing how really stupid I can be, and with full disclosure that I know absolutely nothing about BootCamp, is it possible to boot from an external drive that has Windows installed and somehow uncompress the compressed partition? Just clutching at straws here, but hey, the OP has nothing to lose but time, right?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I really don't know if that will work since without a hack Windows will not install to an external hard drive. (Built in piracy protection by MS.) It would be a good experiment to try out though. :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011
sorry about the late reply

I just erased the Windows partition and reinstalled it, not without a few bumps though :l but all good now

Thanks for all the replies :eek:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.