Upgrade current MacBook or Buy New?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I currently have a 13-inch MacBook Pro (mid 2009) with the 2.26GHz Core2Duo, 160GB HD. I've maxed the RAM @ 8GB and was considering a 240GB SSD upgrade with the data doubler from OWC which would be about $250.

My question is, would I be better off in the long run just selling my current rig and buying a new Pro or Air instead of putting more money into this one?

I mainly use it for general computing and music production.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
If you feel like the computer is still having trouble handling your music software etc. after the 8gb RAM upgrade, I'd do one of two things.

Sell it and buy a new Pro- get a non retina model so you can upgrade RAM etc.

Or Sell it and buy used, go on CL or something and find a newer model, something like mid-late 2011 refresh MBP, and save some money while still having a good computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you got the readies, by all means buy a new one and sell the 2009 model. You may save a few hundred checking out Apple refurbished models. Come with current operating system and full twelve month warranty, and you can also purchase AppleCare if you wish to extend the warranty to three years.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you decide to buy new, I would wait for awhile until Apple refreshes the Air models or the MacBook Pro models. The MacBook Pro refresh will have the newer Haswell chipset along with the Intel HD 5000 GPU. And personally, I would not buy a retina machine for the reason already given.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.