• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

BI: Nokia Lumia 1020 camera better than iPhone 5S

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As the article mentions...if a camera is someone's #1 priority...then maybe the Nokia Lumia 1020 is the better choice. But if a smartphone's other features & OS are more important...then maybe the iPhone is the better choice.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
It's been common knowledge that up to a point megapixels count doesn't matter. Megapixel size on the other hand, does matter. More light hits a larger surface, so larger megapixels are going to have better images.

I'd like to see what these images look like straight from the sensor, without any instant post processing down with the devices' software.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Looks to me like the 5S did a much better job in the outdoor photo.

The 1020 sky is washed out, the stripes on the US flag are not as sharp, top of the flag poles are not as sharp, the red brick appears un-naturally bright and looking at the beige stones of the building in the stack, the 5S is showing more of the difference in color in each square (caused either from it drying out from rain or dew or a possibly a really bad spray paint application).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'd like to see what these images look like straight from the sensor, without any instant post processing down with the devices' software.
There are a few sample shots here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Will Echo Bobtomays words, MP means nothing in itself. Oops. Stretch's words! :D

Oh and Van, get a Lumina and have great application support. I would never get a Smartphone just for the camera. WP8's app support is the worst out there. I can get 2-3 better cameras for the street price of the Lumina if I wanted a great camera.

C

chas_m

Thoughts: BI is not a photography site, and Jay Yarow is (pretty clearly) not a photographer.

a. On the first photo, he claims the iPhone photo is "the same photo" when it clearly isn't. IOW, he didn't shoot these simultaneously, he shot the separately, and clearly shook the iPhone one. Nonetheless, the Lumia photo (while clearer by far) is SO YELLOW. A *steady* iPhone shot would have won that contest hands-down for skin tone alone.

b. Second photo, again with the overall color and skin tone. I can't argue that 8MP is as good as 12MP or 20MP (though I think above that point there's no real advantage) -- but what's the point if you have to color-correct every shot? I note also that the iPhone more detail through the window.

c. Third photo, no contest -- iPhone wins.

I do like the clarity and sharpness of the Lumina, particularly if those were shot handheld. But it surprises me that the iPhone is SO MUCH BETTER at getting the colors right. And of course the last set of pictures -- showing the two phones -- doesn't do the Nokia any favors.

Nokia's on to something there, however, and if they can fix the problems with color they may well find a solid niche as the preferred phone for serious photographers. Given that you have no optical zoom on camera phones, the 41MP file size can come in handy for serious cropping to make up for the lack of zoom -- much more so than the iPhone, that doesn't have that luxury with only 8MP.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I see a Yellow cast on the skin of the people in both the 1st and 2nd pics. Chas mentioned it in the 1st Pic, but I see it on the skin especially on the 2nd one also. That skin tone is way off and bugs me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.