Blue screen and mouse and keyboard doesn't work when reinstalling

Reaction score
Was using my MBP then all of a sudden everything froze, had to hard reboot. when it came back up, I get a blue screen. I can actually move the mouse cursor but nothing happens.

Followed a few steps online trying to fix by using the command S option during bootup. In the "Dos like" screen my keyboard works and everything. So this tells me my mouse and keyboard is fine.

As a last resort, I tried to do a repair install from my USB drive. When I got to the language selection screen, I can see the language text scrolling around but my keyboard and trackpad won't respond.

is there anything else I can do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Doesn't sound good. At the best, the hard drive died and needs to be replaced. At the worst, the logic board failed possibly because of the GPU? You didn't mention anything about which MacBook Pro you have or what version of OS X it's running. Give us that info and we can give you a better idea of what to do.

OP
D
Reaction score
I have a A1229 late 2007 2.6ghz MBP 17"

it was tucked away for a year or so but recently took it out to put some use into it so I can't remember if I'm on Leopard or Lion.

The USB image I tried using is for Lion.

Just now I tried to boot with the USB drive again but it got stuck at the apple screen with the circle hour clock forever.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That particular model MBP has the sometimes flakey nVidia graphics chipset. But if that failed, it might not give you a lighted screen. That leaves the hard drive as suspect. If I remember correctly, that model is a bit difficult to get into to swap memory or the hard drive. You might want to take a look at the instructions at the ifixit site. What is worrisome is the fact that it won't boot from the USB flash drive, which it should even if the hard drive failed.

However, I've seen a few cases where a defective hard drive or even a bad SATA cable will prevent the machine from booting from an external hard drive or USB.

iFixit: The free repair manual

OP
D
Reaction score
As long as it isn't the logic board, I think I'm ok. I'll take the wife's 15" MBP HDD and swap it over to see if it boots. I hope it does, then the solution would be easier. I got a couple HDD sitting around.

While sitting around earlier I actually opened up the laptop to make sure the fan isn't full of dust but it was clean. Didn't think of it as a HDD failure so I put it all back together. LOL back at it again tomorrow after work. Thanks for the advise so far. I can troubleshoot a PC all day long but when it comes to Apple products, I got my hands tied.

OP
D
Reaction score
Just wanted to keep an update. I confirmed that the logic board is good. In the process of taking my wife's 500gb drive out to swap over I dropped it and killed the drive. Only option left is to stick a drive from my Windows laptop in to test. Booted up to Win 7 and was able to log in. LOL

Anyways new HDD and I should be back in business. Thanks for the quick response.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to hear. We suspected the hard drive and although it's always a pain to replace one, that's a lot easier to swallow than a new logic board. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.