File Copy w/ Resume??

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I need some help right now and I hope someone here would know something.

I'm currently having issues with copying data off my old/bad hard drive. Basically what happens is I have a SATA HD dock and everything works perfectly at first. The partition mounts and I can see and access files. I can start a copy and the files will start to copy over but shortly after the drive will just disappear from the OS. Disk Utility shows that the drive has been disconnected (and of course I get the unmounted improperly message too). This happens on three of my SATA docks and both Mac machines (MacBook Pro w/ Mountain Lion & Hackintosh w/ Snow Leopard). It seems to be a hardware issue with the drive itself.

So, There is about 50GB of data that I need off of that drive. I can start a copy and it will indeed copy quite a few files but since the copy job never finishes all of the files just go away. I was wondering if anyone knew of a program that would be capable of handling major copy errors (like the drive disappearing, lol) and can resume from such a error. I can just turn the dock off and turn it back on and everything with the drive will start working fine again.. till it disappears once again..

If anyone knows of some solutions to my issue that would be great. I really need the information in this hard drive.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

I doubt there is any software that will handle the disk completely going away and recover from it..

However, if you are able to copy a batch of files (you will need to figure out how much this is consistently), perhaps you should do the copies in chunks of the determined size. It might be tedious, but at least you'll know how long along you are when you start a new copy..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.