Apple tv3 Update v6?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5K Retina 27" 2017, macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur, iPhone 7Plus, iPad Pro, Apple tv4, iPodT6
Just checked for latest update v6 via ATV's software updater. Showing to be up-to-date with v5.3.
Just checked Apple Download Pages UK and v6 is no longer showing, must have been pulled for some reason. Posted In case any other UK users are finding the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Got the update notice yesterday for the Atv3 and it crashed while downloading. Been out today and bought a micro USB cable, so that I can restore the Atv3 in iTunes, but it cannot restore it. I get the error message 1611 after about 10 minutes.

Has anyone any ideas?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Unless they found a flaw for the UK version the US version works fine and is still showing you may just have to wait a day or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got the update notice yesterday for the Atv3 and it crashed while downloading. Been out today and bought a micro USB cable, so that I can restore the Atv3 in iTunes, but it cannot restore it. I get the error message 1611 after about 10 minutes.

Has anyone any ideas?

Cheers
Sadly I bet you will have to take it to the Apple Store I read somewhere they have exchanged certain serial number units you may have to Google it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
I think that Apple hasn't quite perfected their update process for ATV. I wasn't able to update my ATV2 either using it's update option but was successful plugging it into my PC and using iTunes to update it. Only downside was having to re-enter all my usernames and passwords afterwards, but the update itself was easier than I expected using this method.

OP
MacGandalf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5K Retina 27" 2017, macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur, iPhone 7Plus, iPad Pro, Apple tv4, iPodT6
I think that Apple hasn't quite perfected their update process for ATV. I wasn't able to update my ATV2 either using it's update option but was successful plugging it into my PC and using iTunes to update it. Only downside was having to re-enter all my usernames and passwords afterwards, but the update itself was easier than I expected using this method.

Thanks for that Mike but here in the UK the update is no longer available. We will have to wait until it becomes available once more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, Ive been able to download it again today. What time was it withdrawn?

I am really narked at the update, however, a friend of mine has been able to download it, and install it, no problem. So, based on that, it can't be dodgy software.....so why has Apple withdrawn it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
What does the update provide in the way of new features?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have the ATV2 and it tells me I'm up to date also on 5.3. *shrug*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3

This is what I was getting as well. iTunes seems to be the only consistent way to update to 6.0.

-Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1

Same here. The 5.3 on my ATV2 is apparently as "up to date" as the built in updater is prepared to go at this time. I was contemplating doing the iTunes update, but the content doesn't seem worth it. I'll wait until the ATV relentlessly bothers me to upgrade it every time I use it. ;)

OP
MacGandalf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, Ive been able to download it again today. What time was it withdrawn?

I am really narked at the update, however, a friend of mine has been able to download it, and install it, no problem. So, based on that, it can't be dodgy software.....so why has Apple withdrawn it?

Sorry, no idea. I can't see it listed for download on Apple's Download Page UK. See attached screen capture.

Same here. The 5.3 on my ATV2 is apparently as "up to date" as the built in updater is prepared to go at this time. I was contemplating doing the iTunes update, but the content doesn't seem worth it. I'll wait until the ATV relentlessly bothers me to upgrade it every time I use it. ;)

Have to agree think this is what I will do as well. Cheers.

Apple UK Download Page: -

Screen Shot 2013-09-23 at 08.52.52.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have just read that there are two Apple tv3 updates, one for the 2013 version and one for the 2012 version. Could it be that it has downloaded the wrong firmware?

Also if Apple have bricked the device with a dodgy update, are they likely to replace these?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll wait for the guinea pigs to test this one out.
I just did both of my ATV3's no problem and it all works with a new feature to share between them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ive just tried mine this morning. It's downloaded the new update, then it says "Restoring Apple TV" then after 10 mins it says that the update has failed and gives the error code 1611.

Some people have said it's the micro USB cable and that people should try different ones, as they are not all the same. But it opens iTunes when this cable is connected and it tries to update the software, so the cable is fine. Can't see what else it could be.

I wil try to call Apple today in order to find out what the situ is. I am not holding out much hope, because on another forum, one guy contacted them and they told him that part of the agreement when you accept the terms and conditions of the update, is that if it goes wrong and renders your equipment useless, then they are not liable. What a mess!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.