Is manually deleting all data from my iPhone enough?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I am prepping my iPhone 4S to sell and have it jailbroken and unlocked. I tried using the "erase all content and settings" but the phone kept hanging and wouldn't delete. So I went about manually deleting everything myself and turning off iCloud. The only thing I can't get to go away is my iCloud email address in settings. The password is not saved though.

Will this be enough to keep the buyer from getting back to my data? I'm not really concerned about the email address as long as the password isn't available. Any other way to reset my iphone that doesn't involve updating to iOS7 and losing the jailbreak?

Thanks.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
With option 1 I'm pretty sure it would force me to load iOS 7, which I don't want to do because I think I'll get a higher price with it being jail broken and unlocked.

With option 2i already tried and it just hangs.

I guess what I'm really trying to find out is whether or not someone could restore or dig into my info if I just manually delete rather than using one of the two other methods.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...I think I'll get a higher price with it being jail broken and unlocked.

Yeah...I missed that in your original post. I think that being jail broken & unlocked does impose some limitations.

I guess what I'm really trying to find out is whether or not someone could restore or dig into my info if I just manually delete rather than using one of the two other methods.

Let's compare this to items stored on a computers traditional hard drive. If you simply manually delete apps & files off a computers HD...if someone is knowledgeable enough...you're darn right the manually deleted items could be recovered. This is why a secure erase is done...to minimize anything being recoverable.

If items are just manually deleted/erased...until that storage space where those items formerly resided is overwritten with new info...the old "manually deleted" stuff is still recoverable (if the new owner really was knowledgeable enough...and had the intention of attemping to recover items from the previous owner).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.