iPhoto not opening

Reaction score
I did a search for the answer before I posted this thread so if this has been gone over, I'm sorry I am a computer dummy and may not be using the right search words or something.

What I have is an iMAC desktop with OS X 10.6.8 and iPhoto 9.1.5. If I am in a web site like Photobucket or Facebook I can open iPhoto and up load a photo. It shows me all my events and everything is just fine. But if I just click on my iPhoto icon in the dock it partially opens with a blank window showing no events........it tries and tries to open with the little rainbow wheel spinning but never opens. The same exact thing happens with it when I plug in my cameras, it partially opens with looking like the screen shot below but with the rainbow wheel spinning and never fully opening to the events. Do you guys have any ideas what I can do to correct this?
Thank you in advance, you have been a life saver for me in the past.

Brian

471ee11abf3bb703faddf244c848fb29.png

OP
M
Reaction score
Did I mention I was a computer dummy? I am more than a dummy, I am a flaming moron with a dunce cap on. I hadn't simply rebooted the thing! I just did that and my problem I have had for days is gone.

Ok, so now that it is fixed and it is clear I am a dummy, how often should I be shutting down my iMac?

Can you point me to a good thread on general maintenance?

Brian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ok, so now that it is fixed and it is clear I am a dummy, how often should I be shutting down my iMac?

Don't be too hard on yourself. ;) I also have an iMac and rarely if ever shut it down. However, the other day I ran out of memory while trying to do something from an app that is memory intensive. I rebooted and the problem went away.

To answer your question... it depends. If you run into a situation that seems strange, save your work and reboot. Otherwise, there really is no reason to shut down. Your iMac is designed to be put to sleep. Just be sure to make backups on a regular basis.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ahhhhh that is another subject, backups! I don't do it at all and really need to get an external harddrive or something because EVERYTHING I have is on this computer!

Brian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're living dangerously.... ;) But at least you're aware of it. External hard drives are inexpensive and since Time Machine is already on your machine there really is no reason not to use it.

OP
M
Reaction score
I will be studying this "time machine" in the coming days to see how I can get it going. I need the external hard drive for it?

Brian

OP
M
Reaction score
I just checked my applications and yes it's there, how do I go about putting it in use?

Brian

C

chas_m

1. Plug in an external drive.
2. Time Machine will pop up and ask you if you want to use the external drive for backups. You do.
3. Go make a sandwich or something and let it do its initial backup in relative peace. This will probably take a half-hour to an hour.

THAT'S IT. From then on, the drive will automatically back-up any changes you make, taking a few seconds every hour (you may not even notice it). As long as the drive is functioning and the computer is on, you'll be backing up (the TM menu bar icon "spins" when it is doing its thing, just so you know).

If you are the type that turns off the computer every day (or whenever you do), DO NOT put the drive and the computer on a power strip and just hit the switch on the power strip!! I can't even tell you how many people have destroyed their computer (and backups!) doing this. I used to think it was so obvious what a bad idea it was, but apparently not obvious enough, so I warn people. Just shut down the computer normally and THEN turn off the drive. In the morning, reverse the process (power up the drive first, then turn on the computer) and you'll be fine.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks so much, I am heading out to get that done. Thanks for any advice like not to turn off the computer on the power strip. It is kinda basic I would NEVER do that, always shutting it down the computer (any computer I use) properly with the shut down. But like you say you never know what someone may do so giving the warning is a good one. Your explanation of how to shut down the computer and external hard drive properly, I wouldn't have thought of it in that order so your extra explanation is warranted!

Brian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.