Issue with Genius

Reaction score
Hi I'm not sure if this is a resolvable problem or not but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to tell me one way or the other.

I have my music in itunes in two formats - AAC for my iphone and AIFF for songs I want to play on my mac.

When listening to stuff on my mac I want to listen to the higher quality files - the AIFFs preferably in a genius playlist.

However when you set off genius it picks songs only from the 'music' menu which means it will pick AAC tracks as well as AIFF.

I have a seperate playlist set up that has all the AIFF files only but starting off a genius playlist from here doesnt prevent itunes from referring back to the 'music' file to choose songs.

Im presuming that if i remove all the AAC songs from the 'music' menu (which would solve my issue as far as playback goes) when I go to sync my iphone it will wipe the music blank as it will no longer be able to find the AAC songs that are already on the phone.

So in summary is there a workaround I can use that will let me use genuis to play back only the AIFF files but still allow me to sync the AAC files to my iphone?

Thanks in advance.

C

chas_m

The simplest fix is to make two iTunes libraries. You can have as many iTunes libraries as you want.

Make one for AAC and one for AIFF and boom, problem solved.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks very much Chas. 700 people viewed this and only one could answer but that's all you need. I didnt know you could create more than one library. Great answer. Thanks again

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks very much Chas. 700 people viewed this and only one could answer but that's all you need. I didnt know you could create more than one library. Great answer. Thanks again

Just to be clear, 700 people didn't view this thread. 99% of those "people" were search spiders, crawling/indexing the forum. Glad you got the help you needed though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.