Software Update Server not responding

Reaction score
Hi, guys. I am a newcomer to this forum.

I have purchased a Macbook Pro from my school yet I have left the school already. This leaves me a problem because I can never go back to my school, or to link back to the school server. Therefore I can never update any software or operating system in my Mac environment (Bootcamp installed)

The message appears as follows:
The Software Update Server (cgkewmac01.kew.carey.com.au) is not responding.

I do not own a reinstallation disc or anything

Thank you so much if anyone can help me :D...this has been bothering me for ages...:'<

btw, i have searched for the forum but cannot find a solution that does not require an installation disc..

and My Mac OS X is version 10.6.2, cause i cant update at all (manually/automatically)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What type of user account have you got, is it still managed by the old school server or do you have an admin password that lets you install stuff

OP
V
Reaction score
What type of user account have you got, is it still managed by the old school server or do you have an admin password that lets you install stuff

I have my own account with my own password. Every time when I install stuff the system requires me to type my password and I can do it. Just that somehow the server is linked and controlled by the school.. that's why i guess there is another admin, a hidden one...

If I manually update my OS X..there will be an error, asking me to contact the software manufacturer for assistance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Try running this command in Terminal (the terminal app is in Applications/Utilities

sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What operating system? Depending on the age it may well be best to purchase Snow Leopard from Apple, format the drive, install and update to OS X.6.8. From there you can update to Mountain Lion, if the machine meets the specs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.