iOS7 upgrade, 2 phones, 1 MBP, 1 iTunes

Reaction score
jojoguitar
Sep 20, 2013 5:39 PM
I want to use my MBP and iTunes to upgrade my wife's iPhone5 to iOS7,

When I plug in her phone to iTunes it recognizes her phone and I am asked if I want to upgrade to 7.
I'm also asked if I want to back her phone up to my MPB or iCloud.

If I select yes can that work (the upgrade/back-up) with out any Apple ID issues or other unforseen issues. She has her ID and I have mine, different.

There is no desire/need to do anything with music/playlists/movies/photoes or apps. In fact we don't even have music on our phones.

I simply (catch word) want to use my MBP and iTunes to upgrade my wife's iPhone 5 to iOS7, and the do the same to my phone.
Can this be done with out train wrecks.
iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yes it can be done. Just make sure if you both have different Apple ID's that you sign in to your own ID's before the upgrade, and there will be know issues. If you have the same Apple ID then just go ahead and follow the prompts. Apple makes this easy to do, and if your phone is say Jacks iPhone and hers id Mauds iPhone then iTunes and your Mac will be able to differentiate between the 2, when you back up or need to restore from a backup.
Good luck and lets us know *** it goes, or if you any more questions.

Just make sure you sign into her Apple ID when upgrading hers up, then sign into your Apple ID when upgrade yours.

Cheers

OP
J
Reaction score
reply to upgrade

Hi Thanks for responding
NIce Tattoo, better colors than mine.

Ok, signing in has me puzzled. I'm thinking I need to create an account on my MBP for her?
That's the part I don't quite get (or like.)

As it is now, when I plug in her phone into the MBP, open iTunes is shows here phone, DEB's iPhone, when I select that little phone in the left pain in the window to the right it has her phone, her SN, phone name, yadda yadda yadda, Where and when would I need to sign in with her Apple ID? When I hit upgrade? or, as I stated before, do I need to bother and make another account on my Mac..

I am only going this way because I've read that to upgrade using WIFI (not connected to Mac) takes forever and may fail.

Again, it's nice of you to take the time to offer help. Not a newbe, but at 65 yrs old, I have more paranoia than knowledge.

Thanks, jojoguitar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
HAHA ive heard colours diminish as i get older, being 40 i still have OK skin, but the Aussie sun is harsh :p

Now to your problem, sorry just had to feed the kids, But NO you dont need to create another account on the Mac, but go to the iTunes store and sign in there into her account, then click on the Phone in the left coloumn and do what you need to do, then when you do your's, go back to the iTunes store, sign out of Deb's and into yours and then go through the routine again.
iTunes WILL ALWAYS be able to identify who's iPhone it is, because its named Deb's iPhone and your named Your iPhone, and this is how it differentiates the backups as well, no so much by iPhone Identifier . . ..

As i said iTunes and your system WILL know who's backup is who's because of the iPhone name, but its best to be signed into your account when upgrading, because it does all the identifying and says its all ok on the Apple Servers iPhone to Account.

So just sign in at the iTunes store and upgrade one phone then sign out then back in to do the other phone

That more explanatory ??

OP
J
Reaction score
Aussie? haha, I'm Minnesota USA, no sun, well, sometimes..

Ok, I/we sign in in iTunes, that does make much sense.
I only hope that I will be able to aid someone, ya know mate, pay it forward.

I'll give it a go, (sorry, I always wanted to do stand up, but I lay down too much)

I'll let ya know how it works.

Thanks, till later

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good Luck with it all . . . . . .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.