Worth backing up my Apps?

Reaction score
I've been having a spring clean on my Macbook Pro and noticed I have 12gb of Apps in Itunes that are backups of my purchases for my Iphone.

Is it worth keeping a copy of my Apps taking up space when I have the ability to download them whenever I want anyway? What is the general consensus and the pro's and con's of keeping a local copy?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's really no point in keeping 12 GB of apps on your MBP when you already have them on your iPhone and they can be re-downloaded from the App store at any time.

C

chas_m

Be aware, however, that some apps can "disappear" from the App Store (for example when the developer releases an all-new version or discontinues the product), meaning you *can't* re-download it from the App Store again. I believe Apple is addressing this issue with iTunes 11.1 but until that's been fully confirmed, I'd suggest holding onto the backup of the apps you purchased.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Just curious as a general iTunes question related to the OP's query - i.e. if the backup apps are deleted from iTunes on the MBP, will the next sync and/or backup (both or just one) to iTunes not re-do the app backups? Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, they should be restored during the next backup. The question the OP asked though is if he should keep a copy of his downloaded apps on both his Mac and iPhone or iPad. As long as you have a backup, there is no point in keeping the apps in both places since they can be either re-downloaded or restored from the backup.

OP
P
Reaction score
Just curious as a general iTunes question related to the OP's query - i.e. if the backup apps are deleted from iTunes on the MBP, will the next sync and/or backup (both or just one) to iTunes not re-do the app backups? Dave :)

I never connect my iPhone to my MBP as I've no need to as I use Itunes Match, iCloud, photostream, and the IOS Appstore. I had Itunes on the MBP auto downloading purchases.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.