Just ordered a 64GB iPhone 5s.....

Reaction score
I impatiently waited until midnight (CA time), and quickly placed my order for my new iPhone 5s, 64GB, in silver/white!

According to my receipt, "Available to ship: 1-3 business days. Delivers: Sep.30 - Oct.2 by standard shipping."

I'm so excited!

I'm also excited about iOS7, which is on my iPad 4 and iPhone 5 right now. It took a little getting used to, and I still sometimes find myself changing settings the old way, rather than using the Control Center screen, but I'm loving the new look and "feel" of the OS.

I'll report back here when I receive it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Got a 32GB "space gray" model myself, upgrading from 4S. Woke up at 3am ET to order it. (beats waiting in lines) I had set my alarm, but woke up naturally at 2:55 anyway. Ordered right when the order page went live and got a 1-3 business day ship estimate. I'm not going to get too excited until it actually ships as Apple has adjusted back ship times in the past, and this time seems more likely than ever for a change like that.

I'm not in love with the design change, but the new built in features will be nice, as will be the fingerprint reader, camera, and more powerful hardware. Looking forward to getting it!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Awesome! Apple will usually abide by the 1-3 day shipping date for the first batch of orders. Once the initial stock runs down, the shipping date will change to 2 weeks while more stock is built up..

Usually the phones come right from Foxconn in China..

BJ4

Reaction score
The Apple website had indicated sale of unlocked iPhone 5S but now seems to be tied to T-Mobile. I live outside USA and will like an officially unlocked 5S. What do you advise?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
T-Mobile is the only carrier in the US that supports unlocked phones without any contract. If you are outside of the US, can you visit your countries Apple store and see what it shows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Am I missing something here? Why would you pay for an unlocked phone from Apple when it's tied only to TMobile? What about it makes it work only with Tmobile? Just swap sim cards and call your provider. Any phone with a sim card can work on a network that uses sim cards. You don't need to pay for a phone to sign up for a new carrier. All you need is to sign up for the contract, which means you can use whatever phone you want, and even if there is an issue, they will provide you with a free phone to swap with. I know this because I deal with it all the time.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Am I missing something here? Why would you pay for an unlocked phone from Apple when it's tied only to TMobile? What about it makes it work only with Tmobile? Just swap sim cards and call your provider. Any phone with a sim card can work on a network that uses sim cards. You don't need to pay for a phone to sign up for a new carrier. All you need is to sign up for the contract, which means you can use whatever phone you want, and even if there is an issue, they will provide you with a free phone to swap with. I know this because I deal with it all the time.

I have an iPhone 4 that was working on AT&T and worked fine. When it was out of contact, I had it unlocked. We switched over to a T-Mobile family plan and my wife got a new iPhone 5 and I kept my iPhone 4. I was told by the T-Mobile guys that I would not see 3G service in most places where T-Mobile does have 3G service and that is indeed true. I see it once in a while, but most of the time it's on Edge. If I had a T-Mobile iPhone 4, then I would see 3G most places..

So even though T-Mobile and AT&T both are GSM/SIM based carriers, there are subtle differences which make it so that you really want to get the phone from one particular carrier..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure that's still the case Ashwin. According to our local T-Mobile guys, they have since re-worked their network (frequency changes) so that it's now compatible with the older iPhones that are GSM. Previously, an iPhone on T-Mobile could only go EDGE. The newer unlocked iPhone 5, 5S, or 5C will work on both AT&T and T-Mobile according to which sim card is installed.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure that's still the case Ashwin. According to our local T-Mobile guys, they have since re-worked their network (frequency changes) so that it's now compatible with the older iPhones that are GSM. Previously, an iPhone on T-Mobile could only go EDGE. The newer unlocked iPhone 5, 5S, or 5C will work on both AT&T and T-Mobile according to which sim card is installed.

That's awesome for the iPhone 5 onward. I guess the T-Mobile guy said this because I was specifically using the iPhone 4..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It seems like the rumors of constrained supply were exaggerated. I went to my local mall today to buy some clothes and decided to walk by the Apple store to check out the new phones on display. Turned out they had quite a few in stock, at least 32 and 64GB Space Gray on all networks but T-Mo. So I canceled my online order and walked out with one in 20 minutes.

Maybe in other places they don't have as much stock, but if supply was that constrained I can't believe they would still have stock in the afternoon the day after launch. Other than Gold models it seems like stock isn't too bad from my perspective.

C

chas_m

I happened to go by my local carrier's store in downtown to pay my bill and there were more than two dozen people queuing for iPhones (I assume for the iPhone 5c because the 5s is LONG gone on our little island!). This was on SATURDAY. Amazing.

(I'm planning to get a 32GB space grey iPhone 5s as an [early?] xmas present in November or December personally. Doing so will save me a bit of money on the cost, making it essentially free-on-contract.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I caved. Went to the Apple store just to tinker last night, and just wanted to walk out with the new iPhone. Unfortunately, they stop selling them after 8pm. So, I got up this morning, went back, and walked out with a gold 64gb on AT&T. I've already had the black and white iPhones, and the gold just looked real good to me. Got the last one in stock after waiting in line for about 30 minutes for everyone else to set up their new iPhones. I like this iPhone a lot!

2013-09-24 12.41.42.jpg

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I was able to buy a 64GB Space Grey in an EE shop at the end of the day on Saturday, which was a nice surprise. The first store I tried only had a single 16GB model available, however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I got my 5S last night (64 GB Space Gray). I want to see what everyone thinks of the home button. Mine seems awful stiff, and it has a much more noticeable "click" to it versus my 4S. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

M

MacInWin

I got my 5S last night (64 GB Space Gray). I want to see what everyone thinks of the home button. Mine seems awful stiff, and it has a much more noticeable "click" to it versus my 4S. Anyone else seeing the same thing?
That is a common report from all the reviews I've seen.

C

chas_m

Be aware that you DON'T need to press it for the fingerprint thing ... I know most of you guys know this but I've run into a NUMBER of people who didn't, so I mention it.

Also, yeah Space Gray (I would spell it "grey" but Apple doesn't ... even in other countries grrrr) isn't particularly constrained compared to the other options. There aren't any to be had on Vancouver Island at the moment, but when they do return you can be sure Space Gray will be most plentiful (which suits me JUST FINE).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Anyone having similar issues?

I'm on my 3rd 5s right now. The first one had a horrible fit-n-finish with the plastic screen trim on the top right. It had a huge gap that let you see right through to the bottom. It was too early for me to notices any battery issues at that time. I swapped that with a new 5s, one which I noticed horrible battery life. It would drain at a minimum of 15% per hour, with no apps open. I refuse to accept that I need to turn off features(such as location settings and what not) to maintain battery life(as I'm told by the genius bar). I got up at 5:30 in the morning to go to work, and by 8am, the battery was 49%. All I had done in that time was use my phone to stream BT music to my car. That's unacceptable! Took it in, and they swapped it out with a new one(new box), no questions asked. On to my 3rd, the battery life is not as bad, but 6 hours off the charger, and I need to plug it in again to make it through the rest of the day. What bugs me is that I actually turned off all location services, and have not noticed a difference in battery drain. Something weird is going on that just drains the battery like no other. I've drained the battery till the point it turns off on its own, and let it sit for a few hours before letting it charge completely. I've done this about 10 times, and didn't notice a difference. I was asked to perform this by the genius bar to see if it helps(I know a few people there), because they said they've been getting a good amount of returns related to this issue. Just for the sake of testing, I also backed up my iPhone 5s and loaded everything on to an iPhone 5. The battery drain is nowhere near the same for the exact same use I put it through. My guess is there's an issue with the wifi, bluetooth, or the M7 chip...but that's just a guess. On top of this, I get random app freezes, and the whole phone goes through a quick restart on its own.

I hope the new update coming possibly next week tries to address these issues.

:(

C

chas_m

Well I don't have one so I can't comment on your issues (which I'm sorry to hear you are having).

HOWEVER, simple math suggests that your experience isn't that widespread ... Apple sold nine million units on the first three days and have probably sold another 9M since ... while I'm not saying it's you or you're the only one ... I can't help but think we'd have heard something if 12-18M people were having such serious issues and returning units etc

M

MacInWin

That's really odd. Most of the reviewers have commented favorably on the battery life of the 5S and IOS7. The one thing that is mentioned as a battery hog is location services, which is why it is recommended that you check which apps are using those services and turn off those that don't really need it. It was surprising how many apps seem to think they need your location!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I went back to the Apple store, and was told it's an iOS issue related to how it runs the connections Bluetooth. With that information, I decided to do a simple test: charge the phone completely, and see how long it last with the BT off while not touching a thing for a whole day(no answering calls either). It literally stayed at 100% for more than 12 hours, and by the time I went back to sleep, it was at 94%. The only thing I used it for was to turn the screen on to check the battery level. I did the same thing with the BT on, and even though it was not connected to anything, after 12 hours, it was down to 16% battery life...without use!

Also, after just a minute's worth of googling, this issue is definitely known, but seems to be related more with iOS7 than the iPhone5s because the same problem is known on both the iPhone 5 and 5s. This isn't my first iPhone, in fact, it's my 5th. I don't use it any differently from how I've used every other iphone and phone before it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.