Just ordered a 64GB iPhone 5s.....

M

MacInWin

Again, curious, I have BT on so that the iPhone connects to my car for hands-off use, and I'm getting much better battery life on my 4s than under IOS6. Is that problem unique to 5 and 5s? And if you could post the result of your google search, that would be handy, too. All I found when I searched for "ios7 bluetooth battery" were a bunch of suggestions for how to increase battery life, all of which made the suggestion to turn off BT unless you need it, which is NOT a problem, but just a sensible suggestion. I'm surprised that the Apple store pointed to IOS7 because if that was really the problem there would be a ton of press on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm only talking about 5 and 5s issues. Our 4s is still on iOS6, so I can't even compare it. The 4s doesn't even utilize all the features of iOS7 that the 5/5s are capable of, so I would only hope it's more efficient. I was talking about iOS7 battery issues in general when I searched for articles online. They're plentiful.

As for the genius bar, that's what they said, what else do you want me to say about it?? I imagine they've clearly had this problem or else they would have said nothing about it.

This isn't a proving match.

And, when their suggested fix is to turn siri off, turn location services off, turn wifi off, turn BT off, turn paralax off, turn auto-brightness off, etc, then what is the point of this phone if there is not an issue with it?

We'll see with the next update expected to be released this coming week.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It'd be a bummer to have a problem.

New 64 GB 5S as of last Saturday - I leave BT and wifi on all the time - same reason as Jake - hands free and I listen to books while I drive. Left the house this morning - 5:30 am at 96%.

Spent close to 2 hours in the car today listening via BT the whole time, maybe 20 minutes in phone calls, a couple of dozen pics on a job, then transferred those to my Win machine via wifi.

Back at the house at 6 pm - sitting at 74% - that's better than my 3GS ever did - it would have been sitting at 30-35% after a day like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I guess my phone had battery issues. I just didn't want to return a phone again if it wasn't really a problem. I took it to the Apple store again after my friend insinuated that I bring it in, and they ran a whole diagnostic test on it that took a few minutes. I told my friend I could wait until the next update, but he assured me that he thought it was a battery problem. I went back home to get the original iphone box and accessories, and went back to pick up my new phone. The difference is NIGHT and DAY! No joke! I have yet to turn off any location services or features. I usually unplug my phone from the charger at around 6am. At the end of the day, I'm at 60%+ life remaining. It will take me into the next afternoon, where I'm between the 10% and 20% warning before plugging it in when I go to sleep. That's nice. Basically, on an average day, I use my phone for syncing to my car with either its Pandora app, or other apps through BT, plus texting, phone calls, and checking emails. That's about it. I rarely play games on it, and most of the time I'm using it for looking up data.

Also, I have read that something related to how you load your backups onto a new iPhone with iOS7 can have drastic battery life problems, so I played around with it on my previous phone, but it didn't help. Everything was loaded onto the new phone from a combination of iCloud and backups from my MacPro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Glad to hear you (finally) got it sorted. It sucks you had to go through so many returns, but at least they finally got it right. Your battery usage sounds a little more average now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Glad it worked out. Not many companies would do 4 or 5 returns on an item to get it right - even if they are in the wrong. My 5S has worked fine thus far, but admittedly I don't tax it very much. I mainly use it as a telephone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.