Where did my hard drive space go?

Reaction score
Hi there!

This is my first time posting on MacForums, so please bear with me :)

I recently decided that I should delete some extraneous files from my mac, which has 251 available gigabytes of space (it's the SSD model), and is running 10.8.2. I'm not sure of the exact make of the laptop, but it's in the style of the new-ish aluminum unibody macbook pros, in the 13 inch size.

Anyway, I went to my Macintosh HD, which said that there are only 10 GB available. I went through all the items in the Macintosh HD folder (Applications, Library, Null, Opt, System, Users) and did the command-i thing for all of them. However, the sum total of how much space they take up is about 120 GB, or half of what my Mac said was being used.

Do any of you know why this might be? What could be using up all of that space?

Thanks so much!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...did the command-i thing for all of them.

Do the "command-i thing" on the hard drive icon on the desktop. What numbers do you get?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I wonder do you have Time Machine enabled but no external drive is attached that will kill HD space over time.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses.

@pigoo3 - My Macintosh HD is showing Capacity: 240.14 GB and Available: 11.8 GB

@OSXX - I do use Time Machine, but it's set up only to work with an external drive. Sounds like it might be the issue, so I'll investigate further and make sure Time Machine is actually set up the way I want it.

Once again, thanks!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Under 10.8 if Time Machine is set up but the external drive/network drive is not available "local snapshots" are stored on the internal drive. Once an external Time Machine drive is available the local snapshots are moved off of the internal drive but the process doesn't happen immediately. These snapshot files will also be removed if the drive gets too low on available space.

One thing to kep in mind though if it is the Get Info numbers from the Finder that are showing a lack of space then something other than local snapshots is the problem. As Apple says at the end of that article
The Finder displays the available space on the disk without accounting for the local snapshots, because local snapshots will surrender their disk space if needed.

OP
R
Reaction score
Wow, that's very informative, thanks!

I'll hook up the external drive and see if that alleviates the problem, and then report back.

OP
R
Reaction score
I plugged in the Time Machine drive, and as soon as it began to back up, it freed up around 8 GB of space. It's progress, but I don't think it's the heart of the problem.

Reaction score
Maybe a spotlight search for files over a certain size, say 500 MB? Just a thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about we do this first  > About This Mac > More Info > Storage > Now look what each item is occupying space wise and see if it adds up to the space used and it also gives available.

OP
R
Reaction score
Alright, sure!

The usage is as such:
Available Space: 250.14 GB
Audio: 3.31 GB
Movies: 10.55 GB
Photos: 48.03 GB
Apps: 27.93 GB
Backups: 0 GB
Other: 145.99 GB
Free: 14.33 GB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Download Daisy Disk and then scan your Macintosh HD and then with this App you will be able to see what is in "other".

Its a great little App, and without Purchase, i think it holds back from some options, but you can get it in the Mac App Store if you really like it for $9.99 in the US, but there are other free Apps out there , but i like this, because if you spend the 10er you can delete stuff from within the App.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Download Daisy Disk and then scan your Macintosh HD and then with this App you will be able to see what is in "other".

Its a great little App, and without Purchase, i think it holds back from some options, but you can get it in the Mac App Store if you really like it for $9.99 in the US, but there are other free Apps out there , but i like this, because if you spend the 10er you can delete stuff from within the App.

+1 on Daisy Disk. Great app and well worth the cost. It will tell you exactly where everything is. The other could be iTunes device backups, revisions of iOS, etc.

Good luck!

OP
R
Reaction score
Wow, that program looks really useful!
I'm downloading it now and will definitely check it out.

Thanks guys!

OP
R
Reaction score
Here's a quick update before I go to bed:

I used daisydisk (which is really cool by the way) and found 115 GB of "Hidden Space"
When I rescanned as an admin, Daisydisk still couldn't figure out what it was. They recommended I check /volumes/, and I found something called "mobilebackups." It looked like it was connected to Time Machine, and it said that it took up 250.14 GB! Could this be the source of my problems?

Once again, thank you all so much for sticking with me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTunes > Preferences > Devices > select the backup/backups and delete .
Re-check your available free space if things are back to normal then sync your phone and let it back up it will only take up the used space on your phone's drive.
So if you only have the one device you should be good to go if you have several then it could re-occupy the space you freed up.

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm sorry to have left you hanging in my weeklong hiatus from the forum!

I'm not sure what you mean by iTunes devices and my phone's drive. I haven't set up any devices with this computer other than the time machine drive.

Could you clarify what you mean?

Thanks a bunch!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Here's a quick update before I go to bed:

I used daisydisk (which is really cool by the way) and found 115 GB of "Hidden Space"
When I rescanned as an admin, Daisydisk still couldn't figure out what it was. They recommended I check /volumes/, and I found something called "mobilebackups." It looked like it was connected to Time Machine, and it said that it took up 250.14 GB! Could this be the source of my problems?

A feature in ML is called Mobile Backup which acts as a TimeMachine safety net when MacBook users aren't connected to their drive, and this way you can still access them when your away from home. They are usually thinned out so they aren't that big, as they are in a way a snapshot of your TM backup.

I'm not sure what you mean by iTunes devices and my phone's drive. I haven't set up any devices with this computer other than the time machine drive.

This means your iPhone HD. Depending on what size you have ie: 32GB White and the 32GB meaning your Drive size.

RKO

Reaction score
You might have a sleepimage file on your drive, in fact it's likely. With the newer versions of OS X, the system takes a snapshot of your ram and writes it to disk as a sleepimage file and it's the exact same size as your total RAM. If you have 8GB of RAM, then you have an 8GB sleep image file.

Whether you need it or not is depends on how critical your memory contents are when you put the system to sleep. I generally don't need it, but some people do. For example one guy I know works in medical imaging and if their system goes out they could be in trouble because they apparently use MacBook Pro's to reference stuff in surgery.

Rather than me explain it to you, I'll provide a link:

Set newer portable Macs' sleep mode | Macworld

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry to have left you hanging in my weeklong hiatus from the forum!

Thanks a bunch!
All I had to go by was it listed mobile backups after you used daisy disk which led me to believe you had an iDevice of some sort backed up on your computer so do you use any other device backed up to your computer.
If you used Time Machine and transferred all info from an older Mac to a newer Mac it would also have transferred the mobile backups.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.