The core apps in iOS 7 are horrible!

Reaction score
All of the core Apple apps such as Phone, Mail, Reminders, Safari, Music, etc., look absolutely horrible! They feature anemic white backgrounds with small, difficult to read gray text in many cases. And the minimalist button icons in these apps are small, and look like my 4 year old designed them. I wear reading glasses with a diopter of 1.50, and it's actually difficult to use the interface. I feel like I need a magnifying glass! I had no such problem with iOS 6 on my iPhone 4s. I was considering purchasing an iPhone 5s, but iOS 7 really is a setback in usability.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Have you played with the text size or accessibility options to make the contents more readable?

OP
Z
Reaction score
Have you played with the text size or accessibility options to make the contents more readable?

Yes, the problem is with some of the text on the small buttons, like in the Music app. Gray text with a white background does not help matters.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have no problems with them at all and my reading glasses are stronger than yours. (2.5) I guess it's a matter of personal choice and the eyes of the beholder. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
From what I have seen working with people eyes even with the same glasses can see thngs differently and have issues that others might not experience. I would try IOS7 but have no device that runs it and won't for a long time to come. I have to use 3.0 readers. Too much reading in the dark with very little light when young. I was warned and paying for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 inch 2017. Processor 3.4GHz Inte Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Graphics Radeon Pro 570 4GB
All of the core Apple apps such as Phone, Mail, Reminders, Safari, Music, etc., look absolutely horrible! They feature anemic white backgrounds with small, difficult to read gray text in many cases. And the minimalist button icons in these apps are small, and look like my 4 year old designed them. I wear reading glasses with a diopter of 1.50, and it's actually difficult to use the interface. I feel like I need a magnifying glass! I had no such problem with iOS 6 on my iPhone 4s. I was considering purchasing an iPhone 5s, but iOS 7 really is a setback in usability.

Absolutely agree!

Reaction score
I have no problems with them at all and my reading glasses are stronger than yours. (2.5) I guess it's a matter of personal choice and the eyes of the beholder. ;)
My experience and thoughts too. With one exception: Calendar. I found it very difficult to read, so much so I bought Readdle's Calendar 5 to replace it. But the iOS7 Calendar is a bit better since I turned on bold font in the accessibility settings. Otherwise I like the iOS7 design.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.