How to clean up Quicktime in drop menus

Reaction score
I'd like to be able to associate typical movie files I create, make or upload to open with Quicktime 7, but for some reason I can't make this default link happen. In the drop menus I can only find the older version of Quicktime as the associated file player, but select it as default it won't execute the action of playing the media file.

As such i'd like to be able to remove this older version of QT from the menu options, and work out which library menu I can find QT7 in. I'm assuming I just have to delete the Quicktime Player from the application list, but I want to locate QT7 first. I'm probably over-thinking what I need to do, but I just want to ask first.

Any advice/suggestions?

QT_zpsf4506eb9.jpg

Reaction score
Actually, depending on your OS (you don't say) QuickTime Player 7 is older. The other one is QuickTime X, which is newer. Do not delete it.
And to answer the question, Player 7 should be in /Applications/Utilities.

M

MacInWin

I have also found that if you let Spotlight index everything, and if you are backing up using Time Machine or a cloner software (Carbon Copy Cloner, for example) then the older version on the backup drives will show in the list of options. Use Preferences for Spotlight to have spotlight NOT scan or index the backups, force a reindex of Spotlight and the older versions will disappear.

OP
C
Reaction score
Actually, depending on your OS (you don't say) QuickTime Player 7 is older. The other one is QuickTime X, which is newer. Do not delete it.
And to answer the question, Player 7 should be in /Applications/Utilities.

I don't have QTX as far as I know - i'm only running OSX 10.6.8. I guess I could upgrade my platform, but as they say - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

My version of QT has also been upgraded to 'pro' - i've only noticed the double option in the drop menus since making this upgrade.

Reaction score
You do have QTX in Snow Leopard. Try this, worked for me:
You can get QT 7.6.3 to be the default app. Find it (the one in the Applications/Utilities folder, NOT the newer version that's in the Applications folder), right click on it, and choose "Show Package Contents." Find the "Resources" folder and open that. Scroll down until you find the "QuickTime Player Launcher" program. Delete it. (You'll have to enter your password to do so.) From that point forward, you will be able to make 7.6.3 the default app. (Note: I made a backup copy of the QuickTime Player Launcher, just in case. But I've had no problems with this method.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.