Open Office 4.0

Reaction score
I went to install Open OFfice 4.0 on my MAC and got a message that the OS did not want to allow me to run the install because the software was unsigned. I downloaded the software from a trusted site. I have used the software many times in the past (previous versions) I know how to override the block. My question is ..is there a reason that I should not install Open Office version 4 on my MAC?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No. That warning was just GateKeeper doing what it was designed to do (prevent the installation of software not signed by Apple). There's nothing wrong with OOo on OS X.

C

chas_m

For various reasons, some developers choose not to pay the $99/year fee to be a registered Apple developer, and thus get caught in Gatekeeper's web. If you're sure that what you're getting is legit, you can override Gatekeeper's controls temporarily -- but for the most part I strongly recommend leaving them on, as it is your best defense against malware and trickware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.