Looking for ebook reader that can download metadata (that is not Calibre)?

Reaction score
I like all the information that Calibre is able to download for my ebooks but the interface is so clunky and non-Maclike that it's a little painful. Other apps like Bookreader and Scarlett have a much nicer look and feel but don't download metadata at all, they just show what's already there.

Does anyone know of a ebook reader app for OSX that is able to download metadata like Calibre can? Any help would be greatly appreciated -- thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I like all the information that Calibre is able to download for my ebooks but the interface is so clunky and non-Maclike that it's a little painful. Other apps like Bookreader and Scarlett have a much nicer look and feel but don't download metadata at all, they just show what's already there.

Does anyone know of a ebook reader app for OSX that is able to download metadata like Calibre can? Any help would be greatly appreciated -- thanks in advance!

I agree. Calibre's UI is utterly horrendous. But there isn't anything else out there that I've found.

OP
J
Reaction score
I agree. Calibre's UI is utterly horrendous. But there isn't anything else out there that I've found.

Thanks anyway.
I actually just found a way to make Calibre more tolerable -- uncheck the format most used (epub, in my case) to be handled by the internal viewer. The internal viewer is actually one of the worst things about calibre, or at least the clunkiest. Now when I click on an ebook in Calibre's library, Bookreader opens it instead. Pretty sweet overall--two programs merging as one to create almost perfect ebook experience on the mac..:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.