iphone 4 to IOS 7?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
After doing a lot of reading this evening I have made the decision to not upgrade my iphone 4 to IOS 7. At least for now. It does appear that 7 slows down the i4. I really like the current speed of my phone and it does what I need. At least for now.

Anyone with me on this one?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks ifr that Dennis. I think I will take the jump anyway though I may regret not getting either the 4S or 5 when I upgraded last.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Was talking to Chris (CWA107) on FB. He says it's very slow on his IP4 but that video does not look that bad but time will tell.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
Thanks ifr that Dennis. I think I will take the jump anyway though I may regret not getting either the 4S or 5 when I upgraded last.

Be sure and let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Just took the plunge on 4s. Works great so far and I don't notice much sluggishness. The only thing that sucks is trying to make a decent wallpaper. You'll see what I mean when you upgrade. Anything not in iPhone aspect, is a total PITA to customize...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS 7 and just my initial reaction is that it is indeed slower than iOS 6. To some extent, I had expected that and it isn't unusably slow, just a tad sluggish with a couple of animations..

Other than that, it's been working great so far.

I do plan on upgrading to the iPhone 5S soon, so I'll only have to deal with this for a little bit..:)

C

chas_m

I'm having no speed issues with my upgraded iPhone 4, but perhaps that's something to do with the fact that I keep a few GB free. For me, iOS 7 has been great though it seems a bit more battery-hungry than iOS 6, but that could be a setting I've missed somewhere.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm having no speed issues with my upgraded iPhone 4, but perhaps that's something to do with the fact that I keep a few GB free. For me, iOS 7 has been great though it seems a bit more battery-hungry than iOS 6, but that could be a setting I've missed somewhere.

Same here. I also try to keep a bit fee. Difficult to do with only 8 GB but since I usually have the iPad with me I don't need a lot on the phone. Performance seems to be about the same as IOS 6.

Reaction score
Me too. After I upgraded to iOS 7, my phone is a bit laggy. but I love the new iOS. Just a bit slow performance.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I imagine that the iPhone 4 will be fine with it initially but will suffer from problems of attrition at a greater rate than the other iOS hardware. I could be wrong but I'm going to guess that the iPhone is like any hardware - the older hardware gets much older than the newer hardware much more quickly (or at least perceptibly so).

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There are a series of settings to control the battery usage in iOS 7, so disabling them will improve the battery life. Not all of the settings are available on the iPhone 4, so disable the ones that are there..

As always, the more "bling" you enable, the faster the battery get chewed up..so while the parallax background and background app refresh are all cool features, you gotta figure out if it's worth wasting battery over them..

C

chas_m

The parallax feature isn't available on the iPhone 4, so its a non-issue. I do love it on the iPad (3) though, I don't even care if it uses more battery. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.